Career > Work

The Best Platforms to Find Your Next Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Trying to find an internship can be stressful. It’s hard to determine which internships you’re qualified for and which ones you’d enjoy, and the applications are hardly straightforward. From my experience, these are the best platforms to use for finding the perfect internship.

LinkedIn

This is the classic… and there’s a good reason. It’s very easy to search companies or job titles you’re interested in, and you can even set notifications for job offers that match specific qualifications or descriptions. I have found that turning on notifications is a great way to make sure you don’t miss any new opportunities!

Handshake

If your school has Handshake, use it (Bradley Does)! This is my personal favorite way to look for internships, and how I landed my first internship. The platform is super easy to use, and it takes your grade level, GPA, major, and work authorization into account when showing you job opportunities. It then will tell you how many of the job listing’s preferences you meet along with a summary of the opportunity and the company’s profile. You can also message the company’s recruiter and get any preliminary questions you have answered before you apply!

Your school’s Job Network

This is probably the best way to find local opportunities from companies that specifically want students from your school. Bradley’s network is called Bradley netWORK, but schools have various different ones of their own! A lot of times, companies will specifically seek out students from a local school by exclusively posting a job offer on this site, so it’s a fantastic resource if you’re looking for something local with a smaller pool of competitors.

Ask Around!

It’s all about who you know! If there is a certain company or position you’re looking for, ask the people you know who work there or have similar roles to what you’re looking for! You never know when a friend of a friend is looking for more resumes to review for an opening, so let people know what kind of jobs you’re looking for. You can’t rely just on other people to find you a job, but networking can help you get your resume in front of the right people!

Aside from the list, if you have a certain company in mind, I recommend signing up for their email list! This way, if you see an opportunity with them that interests you, you can be one of the first to apply. You never know where you’re going to find your dream internship, but using these resources is a good place to start! Now it’s just a matter of scoring that interview and landing the job!

Kate is a Senior Mechanical Engineering student with a concentration in Biomedical Engineering at Bradley University. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, watching Netflix, working out, creating art projects, and cuddling with her dog and two cats. Kate is the Assistant Graphic Designer on Bradley University Her Campus's Social Media Team as well as Vice President of Epsilon Sigma Alpha, a member of Society of Women in Engineering, and a member of Bradley's Honors Program Advisory Council.