Wellness

Starting Your Winter Break Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Winter Break is approaching which means students can finally relax after a very long and tiring semester of work. Sometimes, though, I’m not sure what to do with all of my free time and I become bored very fast. Here are some ways you can start your winter break off right to have the most fulfilling time of rest!

KEEP A ROUTINE

It is very easy to just go home and sleep constantly. You get up, eat something, then get right back into bed until your family makes you do your laundry or clean your house. It’s important to stick to a routine, however, because your body can still get a much-needed rest, even if you don’t sleep all day. Sleeping for nine hours or so, then getting up and making your bed, can be something very simple but great way to already achieve something in your day. This way, when it is time to get back to school, you won’t have to worry about getting back into some sort of routine that makes you exhausted within the first week.

EASY SELF CARE ACTIVITIES

Though you should try to keep a routine, it’s still important to relax and implement self-care. Catching up on the face masks and hair treatments can make you feel cleansed and brand new! In addition, you can plan fun activities with your friends, you can start journaling to continue into the new semester or you can go on a little road trip with your friends and family to somewhere spontaneous.

SPEND TIME WITH YOUR LOVED ONES

While at school, you spend a lot of time away from your friends and family back home. Catching up with all of them and telling them about your semester adventures can also be a great way to start off your break. This is your sign to reach out to that friend that you have been wanting to for a long time but haven’t gotten to yet. Life is short and so is your winter break, so try not to waste precious time! 

EXERCISE

Now, it’s the holidays so no one expects you to go to the gym every day and get in the best shape ever. However, exercise is such a great way to hit the reset button on a long semester. Something as simple as taking your dog for a walk daily, watching at-home workouts, participating in some yoga or standing up every hour from the couch can be a good start to a long break. If you are ready, however, to get back into a fitness routine, now is your time! There’s no school to get in the way and the new year is starting to set up some New Year resolutions.

BINGE-WATCH YOUR FAVORITE SHOWS AND MOVIES

If there has been a show that you have wanted to watch all semester but haven’t gotten to it, now’s the time to lay in bed, clear your mind and let the TV magic begin! Take your friends and family to the movies after a long time away because of COVID. Movie popcorn and some candy definitely hits differently than watching a movie in your crowded dorm room or apartment. Even holiday classics and Hallmark movie binges are very acceptable over your break to get in the jolly holiday spirit!

Have a fun, relaxing, self-care-filled winter break and happy holidays!

Becky Rose

Bradley U '23

Hello! My name is Becky Rose and I am a nutrition and dietetics major at Bradley University. I have a passion for sharing with others about how to improve their health and wellness and cannot wait to share more through my writing for other students. Follow me on Instagram @becky32301 to get to know me more!