This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

As midterms come around, it’s important to remember that your mental health is important. I decided to ask my Instagram followers for suggestions about what helps them. I will also mention ideas that help me and expand on some of the ideas that I was given.

1. Making a list & organizing thoughts

First, I recommend writing down the things that are stressing you out. It’s important to tackle the issue instead of avoiding it. If you aren’t ready, that’s ok but still, address that it’s a factor. It might help to make different categories and separate them. Let’s say you are focusing on multiple classes: list each class and then write down the different homework you have.

Another thing you can do is just simply write everything that comes to your mind. After a long day, there are many things that we probably didn’t have time to process, so doing so will help clear your mind. It can be big or little things but getting it on paper (or whatever you choose to use) is useful. I find it helpful when I have a big knot of ideas because writing them down helps me figure out what is important. I can refocus my mind when I realize what is bothering me or take action on something I might have forgotten that I needed to do.

2. Listen to Music

Sometimes we need some time to ourselves and listening to our favorite songs can make the situation better. A good amount of people said they found music to be something that they go to when they are stressed. I like to make different playlists and depending on my mood, I will listen to different ones. Sometimes, I make one big one where the genre changes for different sections. I find it easier so I don’t have to go looking for the one I want. I just have all of the songs right there. It’s nice to listen to your favorite artists and have their voices be a comforting thing. I personally love listening to BTS, Bebe Rexha, NCT, Five Seconds of Summer and John K. Those are just a few but I can always find something to lighten my mood from those artists. Again, having music that you can relate to can sometimes help you process your thoughts and emotions.

3. Hanging out with Friends

I think most people like to hang out with friends. It’s nice to be able to talk to someone about what’s going on and know that you aren’t alone. If you don’t want to discuss the matter, it can at least be nice to be with someone and do something to clear your mind. It can be as simple as getting food or going to an arcade. When I’m stressed or need a break, I love to go workout with a friend or take a walk. I find doing something outside or active with my friends is my favorite. Though, I do also enjoy playing video or board games.

4. Watching TV or Movies

Another thing that my followers suggested was Netflix. Who doesn’t enjoy binge-watching a few seasons of a series? I know I like to do that with anime! The great thing about Hulu or Netflix is that they have so many different genres and types of films that there is something for everyone. I find when I watch stuff, it allows me to forget about my worries and just get away from reality. If I’ve been working on homework or studying for a while, I tend to need a break, so watching a few minutes of something helps me reset before jumping back into what I was doing. I also have some friends that find playing something in the background while they work helps them focus. Again, there is so much great content that you could watch Netflix for the rest of your life and you would probably never run out.

If you are in need of some stuff to watch, here are some lovely anime’s that I was given as suggestions. Some that were mentioned were Black Butler, Vampire Knight, Gintama, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Naruto.

If you are in need of movies or television series, I’ve got some great ones for you! Some favorites are Twilight, Luca, Black Panther, Supernatural, Friends, Orange is the New Black and The Office.

5. Journaling & Creative Writing

If you end up trying any of these ideas, I really recommend this one. When I first started writing, I didn’t really know what I was doing. I wrote random thoughts that came to my head and that was about it. I had no idea what passion I would find when I wrote. As I got older, I switched over to creative writing. Now, I’m sure you are going to say something about how you can’t write or you aren’t good at it. Well, the point is to just have fun and do whatever you want with it. Writing is supposed to be a safe space where you have the freedom of expressing yourself however you want. I tend to take whatever emotions I might be feeling and I turn them into either characters or scenes. Sometimes I will even write a poem or try to make song lyrics. Again, it’s being able to find an outlet so that you don’t repress all of your thoughts and emotions. Sometimes just writing down what’s on your mind and ripping up the paper afterwards is good enough therapy. You just have to figure out what is best for you. I recommend journaling or writing for about five to ten minutes daily or at least every other day. It’s important to make time for yourself because mental health is extremely important.

Kaia Wolfe

Bradley U '25

Hello, my name is Kaia Wolfe! I'm currently a second year and majoring in Special Education at Bradley University. This is my second year at Her Campus and I'm extremely excited to be writing for them. In my free time, I enjoy reading outside or in the library. I love going to coffee shops and trying out new foods or drinks. I did theatre for most of high school, including being the actress, directing my own one act, lights, sound, and I even worked with costumes a tad. For me, writing allows me to be expressive and as creative as I want. It's one of my favorite hobbies and I'm so glad to be able to share my pieces with you!