Wellness > Mental Health

Olivia’s Self-Care Tips to Enter Your Healing Era

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

As cheesy and repetitive as it may sound, self-care is extremely important. I am not a doctor or mental health professional, but I am a 20-year-old girl who understands how stressful life can be at this age. You might think that self-care is putting on a face mask and having a full-on spa night, and it technically can be, it is so much more than that. Self-care is what it says; taking care of yourself, especially when you are stressed, busy, or struggling. If you are struggling to the point where you don’t think you can do any self-care— whether that be with your mental health or something else— reach out to a friend, family member, or doctor for help. I promise you that there is no shame in that.

I’ve found that once you start intentionally taking care of yourself, you start to heal. I’m not saying this will fix your mental health and cure all of your illnesses, but I am saying it can set your healing journey in motion. I’ve compiled a list of tips that have helped me throughout my self-care-healing-journey. If these seem dumb to you, maybe just try one of them and see how you feel. I hope it helps!

Tip #1- Give yourself some credit and stop the bad self-talk

I know I am not the only one who is chronically hard on myself. When you’re busy with classes, extracurriculars, work, or just life in general, it is easy to slip up sometimes. If you are juggling many things at once, and you forget one little thing, get one bad grade, or get crazy stressed, it is okay. Remind yourself of all of the things you do right. Remind yourself of your accomplishments, big or small. Celebrate the fact that despite your hectic life, you are still standing. I often get mad at myself or talk badly about myself when I mess something up, no matter how small it is. Actively trying to reframe that mindset is a major key to taking care of yourself.

The next time you have something bad to say about yourself, think of 3 things you are good at. Think of 3 things you like about yourself. Think of 3 things you are proud of. Even if these thoughts seem unnatural at first, even if you have to force it, just try. Don’t want to take my word for it? Dr. Joy from the Cleveland Clinic says, “Say your negative self-talk is, ‘I never accomplish anything.’ Ask yourself: ‘What evidence do I have to support that? Have you never accomplished anything, or did you get a promotion last year? Did you get yourself out of bed on time this morning? Write that evidence down.”

Tip #2- Create purposeful self-care time

You know those days when you leave the house in the morning and you aren’t back until late at night? The days when you feel that you haven’t sat down or haven’t had a moment to yourself? It is especially important on days like this to carve out a little time for yourself. Even if that means sitting in your car for just 10 minutes to listen to music with no distractions. It could also mean taking a break from studying to take a walk or eat a snack. You could take an extra long “bathroom break” at work and just watch TikToks for 15 minutes. Whatever will calm your stress, whatever will give you a second to breathe, you need to prioritize that. Be intentional about it. On the days when you can, plan some time when you are going to relax. For example, I usually don’t have anything going on Wednesday nights. So, I make sure I am done with all my work and that I am good to relax. I change into my pajamas early, and I lay in bed and watch a movie. I am telling you, it keeps me sane. It also gives me something to look forward to when I get stressed because I know I will get a couple of hours of uninterrupted time. It may not sound conventional, but this really is self-care. 

Tip #3- Prioritize sleep

A good night’s sleep is more important than you might think. “Sleep services all aspects of our body in one way or another: molecular, energy balance, as well as intellectual function, alertness, and mood,” says Dr. Merrill Mitler, a sleep expert and neuroscientist at NIH. If you aren’t sleeping well at night, it can seriously impact your mental and physical health. This is why sleep should be a priority. One of the biggest forms of self-care can be going to bed early and getting a full night of sleep. I think I speak for everyone when I say I definitely feel a difference on days where I didn’t sleep well. “Lack of sleep also influences your mood, which can affect how you interact with others. A sleep deficit over time can even put you at greater risk for developing depression,” Mitler says. Some nights you feel like you have to study or you have to finish this assignment before you can go to bed, but in the long run, it is better if you close your textbook and get some sleep!

Tip #4- Some easy self-care ideas

If you want to go full-on spa mode for your self-care, that’s great! But on the days when you don’t have the time or energy, here are some easy ways to get your self-care in.

• Get yourself a treat on your way home from work or school (my go-to is a strawberry shake from McDonald’s!)
  • Journal about how you feel for 5 minutes. You can do it in the Notes app on your phone, too.
  • Light your favorite candle.
  • Stand up and stretch. If you’re feeling fancy, try a little yoga! There are some simple and relaxing tutorials on YouTube!
  • Do a puzzle. I know this may sound silly to some people, but it is actually really relaxing and easy! I use the website https://www.jigsawexplorer.com and you can turn your own pictures into puzzles. I only make my puzzles 75 pieces, so they are so easy and it actually feels really rewarding when you finish!
  • Read. Even if it’s a few pages of that book that’s sitting on your nightstand that you’ve been meaning to start for months (I am so guilty of this).
  • Make/order your favorite dinner.
  • Vent to a friend.
  • Text someone that you love them (get that dopamine going!).

Sources 

Dutes, K. “TK,” & Tagle, A. (2021, December 16). Stop being so mean to yourself. here are 5 tips to help you break the cycle. NPR. https://www.npr.org/2021/12/09/1062746913/how-to-stop-being-self-critical-and-silence-negative-self-talk 

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2018, April 4). The benefits of slumber. National Institutes of Health. https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2013/04/benefits-slumber 

Sarah DiGiulio| Elizabeth Millard and Jessica Migala, Millard, E., Macht, H., Upham, B., Lawler, M., Levine, B., & Bedosky, L. (n.d.). Self-care: How to do it right now. EverydayHealth.com. https://www.everydayhealth.com/wellness/top-self-care-tips-for-being-stuck-at-home-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

Olivia Garver

Bowling Green '26

Olivia is a Communication major with a minor in Business at Bowling Green State University. She is a second year student, and along with being involved in HerCampus, she is also involved in communication and organizations and greek life.