Seasons of 2023: Analyzed By My Current Favorite Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

REFLECTION:

At the end of every year, I like to reflect and look back on memories, moments, and accomplishments. Basically, everywhere, everything. Lately, I’ve been feeling a little comfortably numb (cue Pink Floyd song). With that being said, I decided that the best way for me to look back on this year is through music. Each season has a song attached to it as well as lessons I learned during that time in my life. All genres of music are amazing in their own way and beautifully created with so much meaning. Works of art. The musicians create the art as we create the playlists of our lives. Seasons come and go, just as feelings like worry or joy. Music is what feelings sound like.

Winter: “Don’t Stop” by Fleetwood Mac

The song “Don’t Stop” by Fleetwood Mac is about letting go of the past, moving forward, and focusing on the present and future. In the morning when I don’t feel like smiling, I play this song, go on a walk, look at all the little things around me, and practice mindfulness. During this season, I got my first and last tattoo. It was of a beautiful butterfly on my back. The symbolism is growth, transformation, life, change, and hope. It reminded me to not look back on the past year’s struggles and choose to learn, reframe thoughts, and find a silver lining. Also, I did a fair amount of baking, writing, painting, and reading. I started the new year off with excitement and gratitude. Just as the song says, “Yesterday’s gone, yesterday’s gone, don’t ya look back.” Tomorrow is always a new day better than before. Winter is a season of relaxation and comfort.

Spring: “Cognitive Dissonance” by Sophie Holohan

The song “Cognitive Dissonance” by Sophie Holohan is about a conflict between what we believe to be true and what we want to believe. Like, was it real or a dream? I looked back on my camera roll from this season and I painted the cover of this single track on canvas. Foreshadowing at its finest. In the song, it talks about getting close, building walls, and losing friends. During this time, all of those things happened because I was mostly romanticizing moments in my life to the point where I lost sight of who I was as a person, my values, and what meant the most to me. I went on a spring break trip to Florida and was going through a hard time, mentally. I tried to connect with reading, nature, my family, and the little things. Afterward, I got a record player, tried to learn guitar, and learned embroidery. Spring is a season of renewal and hope.

Summer: “Exploda” by The Symposium

The song “Exploda” by The Symposium is about being alone, feeling a sense of disconnect from others, and confusion. I believe Exploda is the perfect name for this song because of the extremely amazing guitar riffs, drums, and vocals, and it is very chaotic and all over the place. During this season, I was working two jobs, constantly starting a new art project, and then I drove to Wisconsin to see The Symposium live. When I got back, I dyed my hair a cherry cola red. I was still feeling some dissonance as well as confusion and uncertainty but continued to just live in the moment and have a fun summer when I wasn’t busy! I really enjoyed creating new art pieces like getting chalk paint for painting a little table, and embroidering shoes. Also, going down to the beach most nights and watching the sunset with my dog while listening to music. The sun made me feel happy and at peace with myself. Summer is a season of joy and excitement.

Fall: “Call Your Mom” by Noah Kahan

The song “Call Your Mom” by Noah Kahan is about motivating people in your life to reach out to friends and family when they are going through a more difficult and challenging time. In autumn, I moved into my apartment and decorated my room which already felt like a new beginning. Then, I took my hammock out to a park and put it up all by myself (although others told me I couldn’t). That day I did some reading and journaling outside. A few days later, I went through a breakup, got back into climbing, did some knitting, and reconnected with friends. I was very emotional but healing at the same time. I called all my friends, and family, and got out of my comfort zone. I no longer felt confused or alone. I did indeed call my mom many times. :) I was reaching out and felt like myself again. I went camping, met so many new lovely people, and started to journal more and tune in to feelings I had distracted myself from all summer. Fall is a season of acceptance and growth.

Winter 2: “Back In My Body” by Maggie Rogers

The song “Back In My Body” by Maggie Rogers is about being present emotionally, physically, and mentally. Now, I am back to focusing on myself, listening to my intuition, and being self-aware. I’ve found so much love and acceptance in practicing yoga, journaling, essential oils, reading, music, ice cream, and baths. All self-care activities that I have implemented more in my day. Since it is almost Christmas, I’ve enjoyed festivities such as baking cookies, having hot chocolate, watching holiday movies, and spending time with friends. This week, I made Christmas cards for all my friends and I am more than grateful for all the amazing people in my life. Since it is colder and gets darker during this season, it is more important than ever to connect with friends, allow rest for yourself, and see the positive lights in your life.

HELLO, 2024.

2023 was a year that was full of eye-opening lessons, transformation, growth, love, and beautiful memories. I wonder what the songs will be for each season next year. I guess setting goals and then simply living in the moment is the best. Do some of your favorite songs relate to the seasons of your year? Excited for new songs, playlists, and concerts in 2024 that are full of meaning, memories, and experiences.

Jaime Wolschleger

Bowling Green '24

Jaime is currently a senior at Bowling Green State University. She is majoring in psychology with a minor in nutrition. She is very passionate about helping other people through experience and spreading advice. She discusses creating balance, sharing her favorite thoughts on intuitive eating, self love, body image, anxiety + mental health, fitness, media and so much more!