Planning a Last-Minute Boo Bash With Your Besties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

If you’re anything like me, your busy schedule got in the way of being able to enjoy the spooky season to its full potential. With plenty of fun things to do, time is a limiting factor. As a college student, midterms, internship applications, work, and class scheduling brings enough stress and anxiety to take the place of a scary movie night! Nonetheless, the holiday season is quickly approaching, but there’s still a little time to get some of your besties together to check everything off your spooky season bucket list this weekend!

Terror-ific Treats

Good snacks are a requirement for any successful get-together! If you’re hosting, encourage your friends to bring their favorite snack! This way all of your guests will have at least one safe food that they personally enjoy, and there will be enough food for everyone to eat! As a host this can be a time, stress, and money saver. Whether you’re divvying up the food or you happen to be the chef in the group, you need to know what qualifies as a good snack.

Since it’s the last weekend of October, the theming needs to be on par. The easiest, and probably most basic example would be the Pumpkin and Ghost Pillsbury cookies! Other ideas could be to make your own spooky flatbread pizza (there are some great examples on Pinterest)! Another could be anything pumpkin flavored- muffins, bread, pie, pudding, bars- the list is endless. What’s Halloween without candy? Even as a broke college student buying a cheap bag of assorted candy from your local convenience store is an easy way to indulge in some sweets. And if you’re looking for a healthier option, there are plenty of creative ideas on Pinterest to incorporate fruits and veggies into the party by giving them a little Halloween disguise.

Eerie Entertainment

Scary movies are a staple to any night with your friends, especially in October. Some classics include Scream, The Shining, Halloween, Get Out, and The Conjuring. Although I must admit, I have only watched one of those… as I’m not a big scary movie girlie. So, I am relying on Google to be correct about those being popular Halloween horror movies…

Regardless, you’ll need something to watch after the movie so you can sleep at night, something more light-hearted and fun. I have plenty of examples of these! It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, Halloweentown, Hocus Pocus, and Coraline. Most of these can be found on common streaming services such as Netflix, Disney Plus, or Hulu- so even if you don’t have one of those, one of your friends is bound to!

Additional Activities

As you plan this event with your friends, do some simple research and see if any local activities are going on the day of the get-together! Some towns may host free or low-cost events such as hayrides, pumpkin patches, or haunted houses that could be fun and always a fun photo-op! Another fun, classic Halloween activity is carving or painting pumpkins! You can even have contests with different categories! And a self-care evening is always the way to go! Buying fun, themed face masks from Target, painting your nails, and doing cute or spooky nail art while burning a fall-scented candle would be such a fun and relaxing way to spend time together.

I hope you enjoyed this article and got some inspiration! This can be a stressful time of the semester, so it’s always a good idea to take the night off when you can and spend some time doing things you love with the people you love. Happy Halloween!

Natalie Yonker

Bowling Green '24

Natalie is a junior at BGSU majoring in tourism, hospitality, and event management and minoring in marketing. This semester, she is participating in the Disney College Program. She is an active member of Chaarg in addition to Her Campus. She's passionate about all things Disney, reading, jewelry making, journaling, and health and wellness.