Wellness > Mental Health

National Eating Disorder Awareness Week: Reduce the Stigma and Start The Conversation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

According to the National Eating Disorder Association, 28.8 million Americans experience an eating disorder at some point in their lives. Eating disorders effective people of all backgrounds and identities – ages, genders, races, religions. It is important to know how you can get involved to educate yourself and others about eating disorders, which are one of the most misunderstood illnesses.

National Eating Disorder Awareness Week is a great time to access resources to learn more about the impact of eating disorders. The more educated you are, the stigma around this illness lessens and effected individuals are more likely to receive the support and help that they need.

#NEDAwareness Week strives to raise awareness of the impact of eating disorders and serves to educate communities about these illnesses.

How you Can Help A loved one

If you are concerned about the behaviors and habits a loved one may be exhibiting, it can be scary and difficult to start the conversation. But it is important to say something. Many people who are recovering from eating disorders received vital support from their friends and family to seek treatment. (Resources from NEDA)

When Starting a Discussion…

• Use “I” statements – Focus on behaviors that you have personally observed, such as “I have noticed you haven’t been eating dinner with us anymore
  • Be kind, but firm expressing your concern
  • Stick to the facts and avoid stigma
  • Provide support for your loved ones
  • Encourage them to seek professional help
  • Make sure to speak in private
  • Don’t wait! It is always better to receive help as soon as possible!

Resources

NEDA Screening Tool

NEDA | Where Do I Start? (Seeking Treatment)

How to Help a Loved One

Anna Kubitz

Bowling Green '22

Anna is a student at Bowling Green State University studying Visual Communication Technology and minoring in Marketing. She is chapter President and Campus Coordinator of Her Campus at BGSU. She loves fashion, music, matcha lattes, and is passionate about creating beautiful things. Anna also creates midsize fashion and lifestyle content on Instagram, @annakubitz.