This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Have you ever noticed how your mood changes with the seasons? It’s no secret some people feel different in the summer than they do in the winter. It’s normal to gravitate towards a season because of the weather, the festivities, and the holidays. Accepting change can be difficult, and watching the seasons change can cause feelings of stress or make it seem like life is speeding up. With winter approaching, it’s important to be a friend to yourself and practice kindness. There are so many positive things in life, sometimes they just need to be sought out and thought about. As you read these suggestions for how to feel more comfortable while the environment changes, find which one speaks to you and give it your all. Life can feel like it’s going so fast that you can’t keep up, but you can.

Make a list of what you look forward to

Grab your favorite pens and reflect on what activities you enjoy during the year. Go through each month and write out what you are excited to experience. This may include noting people you get to see, trips you get to take, holiday dinners, or even a walk through the park in fall. Having a rough plan for the year may help you feel more prepared for the months to come.

Create a playlist with songs that make you feel grounded

Music can be very powerful and allows you to understand your emotions through a song. By creating a different playlist for each month, you allow yourself the opportunity to look back on the year. Each month you construct a playlist and spend time with yourself finding songs that resonate with you. At the end of the year, you will be able to reflect and listen to these songs while having an additional meaning to them. A suggestion: Vienna by Billy Joel

Watch the sunsets and keep a journal

Taking a moment out of your day to watch and appreciate the sunset can be very beneficial. It is a reminder that the day will soon be over and start again in the morning. It gives you a moment to be present with the Earth and can provide peace in the unknown. Keeping a journal can also be helpful to write in throughout the year. Writing down thoughts and feelings can be helpful in understanding them. You can inspire and motivate yourself through creative writing and self-reflection. As the year goes on, you can take notice of patterns or where life can be improved.

Kaylee Shinaver

Bowling Green '23

Ohio native with a heart for adventure. I'm a fourth-year student studying International Studies and Entrepreneurship. I have a passion for learning about the world and sharing experiences with others.