Give It a Rest: It’s Okay to Take a Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

I’m going to cut to the chase and say it… burnout is real. Our society as a whole functions in “hustle mode” constantly. You feel that your worth is defined by the things you do, and what you accomplish. So in turn, you feel that you have to keep doing things and taking on more work. I’ve been there, in fact you could say I’m there now. It’s hitting that part of the semester where everything is really taking off and I’m beginning to feel the weight of all of my responsibilities.

This is a reminder for you – its okay to take a break.

Something that I’ve been learning is that it is important to  figure out how you find rest. It is okay to say no to doing some things. Don’t over-exert yourself at the expense of your own well-being. You can’t possibly do everything so learn to prioritize what’s most important to you. Trying to juggle everything at once, may result in not doing the task well. When you become burnt out, you’re not able to work at your best. This is why self care is not to be undervalued. 

Self care looks different for everyone at different times. Sometimes it’s doing things that you like just for fun. Other times, its prioritizing your own health over other things and taking time to relax. Self care can be time spent alone or time spent with friends. Sometimes staying in on a Friday night and watching a movie by yourself is just what you need. You can also take a walk with a friend or find time to read a book for fun. Try making yourself a cup of tea, or coffee and find time to sit and journal. Don’t overwhelm yourself so much that you can’t take time to enjoy life. Take some time to care for yourself. 

Anna Kubitz

Bowling Green '22

Anna is a student at Bowling Green State University studying Visual Communication Technology and minoring in Marketing. She is chapter President and Campus Coordinator of Her Campus at BGSU. She loves fashion, music, matcha lattes, and is passionate about creating beautiful things. Anna also creates midsize fashion and lifestyle content on Instagram, @annakubitz.
Lindsay is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at Bowling Green State University. She is a junior at Bowling Green State University, studying Human Development and Family Studies and Creative Writing. Lindsay is an active member of Falcon Miracles, formally known as Dance Marathon and H2O Church. In her free time, she can be found on campus in the HDFS lounge, exploring Perrysburg area or sitting at her favorite spot at Flatlands in downtown Bowling Green. Lindsay has high taste in home decor, fashion, and of course, coffee.