TREAT YOURSELF: THE BEST GALENTINE’S PARTY 2024 EDITION

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Love

It’s about that time again; red roses and heart shaped boxes of chocolate seem to fill the majority of the aisles in all the local stores in your area. If you’re reading this before Valentine’s Day, then get ready to take some notes. But, if it’s after, continue reading because you can have a party like this at anytime. In my opinion, I feel like the media makes such a big deal about Valentine’s Day. Why not celebrate the people you love everyday or just a random day during the week? I feel there is this pressure to find your other half or your soulmate, but your heart is whole even when you’re single. Whether you are in a relationship, healing from a breakup or are living your best single life; this is for you. You can still make the most out of this day and share your appreciation and love with the people in your life. Today I will share the essentials for a wonderful Galentine’s Party!

First: Self-Love

If the morning brings sadness, and overwhelming thoughts: I recommend the book, “8 Rules of Love” by Jay Shetty. It’s about how to find love, keep it, and let it go. The author goes into detail about rules to live by that are insightful for loving yourself, your partner, and the world. I also recommend the podcast “Date Yourself Instead” by Lyss Boss. She discusses topics such as, manifestation, toxic relationships, heartbreak, detaching to attach, gaining the power back, and so much more. The next step is to go shopping for a cute outfit for the party that makes you feel confident and brings you happiness. My all time favorite place to go is Plato’s closet in Perrysburg. It is a resale store and there are plenty of great thrifted clothes. For this Valentine’s Day they have 20% red and pink clothes February 10th-14th.

SECOND: The party <3

Music: When you’re hosting a party, you will need some good jams and bops, and if you have a record player with some vinyls you could bring that out as well! I selected my top ten songs from all music genres that I highly suggest you consider when you create your playlist! Plus it will make everyone happy at the get together.

• Say It Right by Nelly Furtado
  • Better Now by Post Malone
  • New Mode by Kid Cudi
  • Thinkin’ Bout Me by Morgan Wallen
  • Break My Soul by Beyonce
  • Love Language by SZA
  • Flowers by Miley Cyrus
  • Dance The Night by Dua Lipa
  • Cigarettes out the Window by TV Girl
  • TELEKINESIS by Travis Scott (feat. SZA and Future)

Pictures: Now that everyone is dressed up and your amazing playlist is playing, you’ll need some good pictures. A digital phone or polaroid will do. To add some more color to the photos, you could get some pink, white, and red balloons for the photos and capture the lovely moments with your friends!

Food: When I think of Valentine’s Day, I think about heart shaped everything, and comfort food of course! First, I love a good chacuterie board because they are so unique, creative, and the food is as delicious as the display looks. After looking through Pinterest, the best board and variety I decided was cheese, crackers, rasberries, strawberries, pretzels, chocolate truffles, cookies, and pink and red and white m&m’s. The classic Pillsbury cutout sugar cookies that have hearts on them are also an option but a recipe for heart shaped chocolate chip cookies is below. For dinner, I’ve been hearing about heart shaped chicken nuggets like Tyson brand or something similar. But making a homemade pizza and getting toppings you like is another idea. Shaping the dough into a heart could be a fun activity as well and bring joy and laughter.

Drinks: Next, you’ll need some sweet drinks for your party! To stay with theme, I’ve thought of a couple pink drinks; one non-alcoholic and the other alcoholic. Strawberry lemonade would be a perfect sweet drink to add to the selection or a Pink Moscato wine which is very fancy and delicious. More drink recipes are linked below that you can make at home for all your friends.

Movie: At this point everyone will probably be tired, full of sweets, and possibly getting in their feels. To bring the mood back up I have the perfect movie suggestion. The movie “Valentine’s Day” came out in 2010 and it’s a comedy/romance film with a packed cast of actors such as, Taylor Swift, Ashton Kutcher, Taylor Lautner, Julia Roberts, and many more. After the movie you could even do a “Powerpoint Night” with topics about relationship advice, green and red flags, or a dating wrapped. If you wanna relax more you can do your nails, face masks, and cuddle on the couch with comfy blankets and pillows.

XOXO

Kind reminder: Do what brings you joy, and find happiness in solitude, and remember rejection can be redirection.

I hope you have a fantastic Galentine’s Party and remember that you deserve love in your life. Create peace and gratitude for yourself no matter if you’re in a relationship or not. Focus on what you truly want and prioritize that because you are your first love. You’re beautiful and simply amazing by creating love within and sharing it with your closest friends and people in your life.

Jaime Wolschleger

Bowling Green '24

Jaime is currently a senior at Bowling Green State University. She is majoring in psychology with a minor in nutrition. She is very passionate about helping other people through experience and spreading advice. She discusses creating balance, sharing her favorite thoughts on intuitive eating, self love, body image, anxiety + mental health, fitness, media and so much more!