This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Whether your college roommate is your best friend or someone you probably won’t be seeing again next year, you deserve space. Living in a dorm can be overwhelming. Between a small space and a shared bathroom, you’re eventually going to want some quiet, alone time. Here are five ways to find time to yourself while living with a roommate!

go for a walk

This may sound like a simple option, but it is so refreshing to step outside, get some fresh air, and take a moment to enjoy the serenity. Try walking around campus and finding the more secluded areas – trust me, they’re out there – or if you have the time, explore your college town! Going outside has so many benefits and can give you the recharge you need before heading back to your dorm.

do homework on campus

Find a place to work on your homework outside of your room! It’s good to separate your living area from your studying area anyway, and this gives you the opportunity to have some time for yourself. My personal favorite on-campus spots to study are the library and anywhere outside as long as the weather is nice.

visit local coffee shops

I always try to practice independence in general, and one of my go-to methods is getting coffee on my own. Nothing beats trying a new coffee shop and reading, doing homework, listening to music, or just relaxing.

hang out in your dorm’s common area

Common area and lounge spaces are good to step out of your room for a bit while staying in your building. Once you become familiar with your dorm, you’ll be able to find the less busy times when people aren’t using those areas, which will make it more personal.

plug in and zone out

Finally, if all else fails, put your earbuds in and listen to music in your room. It can be hard to find a time to leave or a place to go, so this option still allows you to have some quiet time while staying in the dorm.

Lindsey Graham

Bowling Green '25

Hi! I'm Lindsey Graham and I am an education major at Bowling Green State University! I like to read, write, shop, and go on walks during my free time.