This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

It’s all fun and games… until there is nothing you can eat at the dining hall. 

If you have a food allergy, navigating campus for substantial food options could be extremely stressful. However, it doesn’t have to be. 

College is already a huge adjustment. Making new friends, living independently, and trying to figure out the future brings plenty of new challenges; let alone trying to find food that won’t leave you feeling miserable. 

I have been gluten-free for almost 7 years now. Eating this way became such normality, that I didn’t even think to research gluten-free options during my college decision process, which is exactly where I went wrong. 

Most colleges have some sort of allergy accommodations, and Bowling Green State University is no exception. Depending on what your allergy is, there are a variety of options in the dining areas. 

Some popular BGSU gluten-free options:

• Mondo’s (Falcon’s Nest BTSU)
    • Their gluten free wraps for sandwiches are AMAZING. They are also really good about changing their gloves when you tell them that you have an allergy.  
  • Every Market usually carries gluten-free products and allergen friendly food options. 
    • I have gotten Udi’s gluten free bread, gluten free Oreos, ice cream, Amy’s frozen meals and other things! I highly recommend utilizing this option if you have extra Falcon dollars! 
  • Elimin8 (Carillon Dining Hall)
    • This station is the PERFECT excuse for you to use your swipes. Trust me, the dining halls are hard to find what to eat, but this station offers meals that are free from the top 8 allergens. 
  • The Oaks
    • This one has controversial opinions as far as the quality of the food goes. However, all of the chefs are extremely accommodating if you text to order ahead of time. Get in contact with the campus dietician to learn more about this option.)
  • Ziggy Zzas 
    • This is a new pizza place on campus, located in the Student Union. I have not tried this yet, but they are rumored to have a gluten free cauliflower crust. I cannot confirm, but I hear it is really good. 

Now if you’re anything like me, eating with dietary restrictions on campus can still be tough. Especially if you are a picky eater. My favorite places in Bowling Green happen to be off-campus. 

Downtown BG gluten-free food options: 

• Chipotle 
  • Qdoba
  • El Zarape 
  • Kermits
  • Buffalo Wild Wings 
  • Rapid Fire 
    • Rapid Fire pizza carries gluten free crust and vegan cheese, which is perfect for those who are also avoiding dairy. 

Study Spots:

• Juniper 
  • Grounds for Thought  
    • Both Juniper and Grounds for thought carry gluten free baked goods that make for the perfect study treat. 

While navigating food allergies on a college campus is hard, you are not alone. If you are still struggling, BGSU offers a dietician on duty at all times, able to answer difficult questions, making your campus food allergy experience easier. Find contact and other food allergy information here: https://new.bgsudining.com/food-allergy-management 

If going to the dining areas brings anxiety, there is an online menu that is updated daily with exact options. Find out more at: https://dineoncampus.com/bgsu/whats-on-the-menu

It is important to take the steps you need in order to have a positive food experience on campus, even with dietary restrictions. I understand that it isn’t always easy, but remember you are not alone. You got this. 

Alison Kaiser

Bowling Green '23

Hi! My name is Alison Kaiser and I am a third year Public Relations student at Bowling Green State University. I am passionate about positive and accurate brand representation and I am so excited to be involved with Her Campus!