BGSU Must-Do’s Before Graduation— From a Fall 2023 Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

It’s hard to believe that I’m graduating this December! My time at BGSU began during a pandemic, so my college experience definitely improved as time went on. Looking back on my memories, I thought it would be fun to share things I’ve done during my time here that you shouldn’t miss during yours.

1. Local Eateries

Something I love about Bowling Green is how walkable the area is. If you’re looking for restaurants, my recommendations are Easy Street Café, Beckett’s Burger Bar, and Sam B’s. Their menus are full of lots of things to try, but my current favorite is the chicken pesto sandwich at Easy Street. For dessert, Insomnia Cookies and Eric’s Ice Cream are my go-to’s. Bowling Green has several coffee shops too, with my personal favorite being Grounds For Thought. They sell coffee, tea, bakery items, sandwiches, books, records, and merchandise. The other coffee shops in town are Flatlands Coffee and Novel Blends, which are also options for working on schoolwork or hanging out with friends.

2. Head Up North

If you drive on I-75, it’ll take about 15 minutes to reach the Maumee/Perrysburg area, and another 15 minutes will land you in Toledo. Hotspots in Maumee/Perrysburg are Levi’s Commons and Fallen Timbers. Both are outlets malls with restaurants, assorted stores, and movie theaters. If you’re headed into Toledo, I recommend the Toledo Museum of Art and the Toledo Zoo and Aquarium. The art museum is small enough that it isn’t overwhelming, but it houses fantastic works from many famous artists and movements. As for the zoo, I’ve had a membership since my freshman year because it’s a great place to spend the day, and the membership includes discounts to other zoos in Ohio too.

3. Get Involved

Joining groups and organizations related to your major or interests is a great way to meet people and expand your skills outside the classroom. Networking is a key element of countless professions. As a Creative Writing major, I joined the college’s literary journal staff and worked my way up to being its President and Editor in Chief. This not only looks great on my resume as professional experience, but it is where I met people that would become some of my closest friends. I even got to travel to Seattle for a national conference this past spring. More recently, I gladly joined Her Campus for similar writing and social reasons!

Don’t overwhelm yourself with more obligations than you can take on, but I urge undergraduates to find something related to what they want to do, whether it be a workout group, an honor society, volunteering, etc. You can get involved in your classes too by taking advantage of the opportunities provided by professors. They know of all sorts of events and activities that you can participate in for personal growth and maybe class credit.

4. Get Outdoors

The trails I keep returning to are Winter Garden Park right in Bowling Green and Oak Openings Nature Preserve up north. Pumpkin patches are perfect for fall days, so I take an annual trip to Fleitz’s. Since it doesn’t have an admission fee, you only have to pay for specific activities you want to do (hayride and corn maze) and for their homemade donuts and cider!

On campus, I encourage you to check out the hill at the west end of campus, past the stadium. It’s a perfect place to watch the sunset, have a picnic, and go sledding when it snows. You could also hang a hammock or ride a bike/scooter. Our campus is beautiful, so take advantage of it!

5. Find Something to Look Forward To…

…every day/week/month. This can be as simple as getting your favorite food at a dining hall, ending the day with your favorite show or book (check out Grace’s Media of the Month articles for ideas!), hosting a game night with your roommates, browsing Finders Records, working on a personal project, or taking a much-needed nap after a busy day. I find myself more motivated during day-to-day tasks when there’s something big or small to be excited about in the near future.

6. The BGSU Bucket List

During my first semester, there was a list of a hundred things to do within and around the university. It included so many campus events to attend: sports matches, the Black Swamp Festival, ArtsX, free GroupX workouts, etc. Don’t forget to stay up to date with free events happening on campus, like homecoming festivities, Winter Wonderland, and anything with free food or shirts. Below is a PDF URL to a very similar list:

http://96.35.136.220/proofs/87a34125-aea5-4dbe-8aac-a0841e398f7a.pdf

I hope you can take inspiration from my list as you create your own! :)

Taylor Necko

Bowling Green '23

Taylor has a BFA in Creative Writing from BGSU. She's on the editorial staff of Prairie Margins. Taylor enjoys writing articles and stories, chipping away at her to-be-read list, drawing in sketchbooks, and keeping up with her favorite shows/musicians.