Between Bing and Brave: A Dedication to Matthew Perry’s Legacy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

TW: Mentions of death, addiction, and alcoholism.

“I think you actually have to have all of your dreams come true to realize they are the wrong dreams.”

Matthew Perry from his book “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing”

Star-studded actor, comedian, friend, long-time alcoholic, author, sober companion, donor, philanthropist: there is a list of words you can use to describe Matthew Perry. As most of the world recognizes him for his role as Chandler in the award-winning American sitcom FRIENDS, Matthew Perry had an illustrious career that extended beyond his years as Chandler Bing.

As an open and struggling alcoholic throughout his life, Matthew battled with the disease ever since a jet ski accident in 1997. He dealt with addiction to drugs and alcohol while working on FRIENDS and long after the show ended. In 2011, Matthew made a statement to the public that he was going to rehab to focus on his sobriety. Two years later, The Perry House opened.

Matthew had a vision to help other men become sober from addiction. He bought a house in Malibu and named it “The Perry House” dedicated to helping recovering alcoholics. In an article written by Hank Azaria, he says, “We met almost 40 years ago, and he [Perry] was, by far, the funniest friend I ever had. He also was the person who helped me get sober.” Matthew wrote a memoir about his life, his addictions, and his experiences. In it, he thinks of alcoholism as a bully; he calls it “The Big Terrible Thing”, which he ended up naming the title of his book after.

Matthew Perry wanted to be remembered for more than just his role as Chandler Bing when he passed away. In an interview last year, he said, “I’d like to be remembered as someone who lived well, loved well, was a seeker. And his paramount thing is that he wants to help people. That’s what I want.” He was more than just a witty and charming 90s actor; he was someone who sought out a deeper meaning in life. He wanted to help others, share his story, and make sure struggling alcoholics knew that they weren’t alone. And he did.

On October 28th, 2023, Matthew Perry passed away after drowning in his hot tub at his home. The news was announced that evening, and of course, everybody was shocked. FRIENDS fans all over the world felt this loss so deeply — myself being one of them. Perry’s role as Chandler has impacted popular culture forever in a way that will never be forgotten. When I was struggling the most in my own life, I turned to his bright smile and punchy one-liners when I needed a pick-me-up. His ability to influence others for the better will be a shining memory of Matthew Perry’s existence.

The Matthew Perry Foundation was launched following Matthew’s death. The website describes the foundation as “…the realization of Matthew’s enduring commitment to helping others struggling with the disease of addiction. It will honor his legacy and be guided by his own words and experiences and driven by his passion for making a difference in as many lives as possible.”

Matthew Perry’s legacy will be remembered for generations to come. He played so many different roles in so many lives. His fans all over the globe will always keep a special place in their heart for Matthew and all of his forms; the caring alcoholic, the good friend, the talented writer and actor, and the beloved Chanandler Bong.

Rest in peace, Matthew Perry. Thank you for always making the dark days brighter.

Sources

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/pictures/matthew-perrys-ups-and-downs-through-the-years-a-timeline/

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/29/entertainment/matthew-perry-cause-of-death-investigation/index.html

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/matthew-perry-friends-more-than-newsupdate/

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/09/opinion/matthew-perry-addiction.html

Alexis is Co-President of Her Campus at BGSU and a third-year senior studying Marketing. Her passions include graphic/digital design, her spirituality, content creation, pasta, writing, and inspiring other women. She enjoys writing about womanhood, college lifestyle, wellness, and relationships. She also has her own blog, her glow, that she started in 2021 and has been working on building ever since.