Anticipation for Jennette McCurdy’s New Podcast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

Jennette McCurdy quickly became one of my favorite authors thanks to her debut novel, I’m Glad My Mom Died. The raw memoir about growing up with an abusive mother and being forced into acting throughout her whole childhood sat on the New York Times Bestseller list for a whole year. It is a story of resilience and self-discovery. I personally have read it, listened to the audiobook (which is read by Jennette!), and wrote about it for a class assignment. It has been impactful during each read-through, so I look forward to any more novels she shares in the future (like a debut novel coming in 2024!).

Jennette McCurdy posing with a magazine featuring her memoir as “The Most Acclaimed Book of the Year”

Jennette McCurdy used to be known for playing Sam Puckett on Nickelodeon’s iCarly and Sam and Cat. However she is “so much more than a former child star and frankly, [she is] very tried of being referred to as one,” (McCurdy). Upon retiring from acting, she has pursued journalism, directing, podcasting, and writing. She has written for The Wall Street Journal, Seventeen Magazine, and The Huffington Post, as well as wrote and performed a one-woman show titled I’m Glad My Mom Died prior to publishing her memoir with the same name. She has two short films: “Kenny” and “Strong Independent Woman.” From August 2021 to October 2022, she ran a podcast called Empty Inside, in which each episode features a special guest and conversations about “comedy, eating disorders, filmmaking, jealousy, therapy, and the crippling sense of doom we all face as we desperately try to fill the void within” (empati podcast). Additionally, Jennette shares a book club pick every month online. More information about her projects can be found on Jennette’s website.

Besides being honored as a veteran bestseller, Jennette has additionally been included on Time’s TIME100 Next 2022. It is a list of influential individuals and leaders from various industries.

Throughout much of McCurdy’s original works, there is a theme of sharing her own experience with mental health and processing difficult feelings. Some common threads are dealing with eating disorders and the death of her mother in 2013. Although the topics are heavy, McCurdy handles them with grace and sometimes humor. Her work finds a home within the genre of tragicomedy.

“HARD FEELINGS”

Jennette recently announced her new podcast titled “Hard Feelings.” It will stream weekly starting on October 24th, 2023. The episodes will consist of private, stream-of-consciousness voice memos that Jennette has recorded to help her process her emotions (McCurdy). So far, a brief trailer was posted, featuring Jennette ranting about how no one listens to podcast trailers and how ridiculous it is for her to record one. Here’s what Jennette had to say about it: “I literally cannot believe Lemonada let me do what i did for my podcast trailer lol. it’s so refreshing to be supported in saying exactly what I want to say.”

It has been an honor to watch Jennette grow as a creator, so I cannot wait for more of her storytelling and insights. After repeatedly reading I’m Glad My Mom Died, it is wonderful and inspiring to see that Jennette is now achieving her own goals and that she has the proper support to do so, all while staying true to her authentic self.

The cover art reveal for “No Hard Feeling”

Works Cited:

“Home.” Jennette McCurdy, www.jennettemccurdy.com/.

McCurdy, Jennette. Instagram, https://www.instagram.com/jennettemccurdy/.

Podcast, Empati. “Empty inside Podcast.” Spotify, empati podcast, https://open.spotify.com/show/3ydl6wrHeCiqHKKgwZcrpb.

Taylor Necko

Bowling Green '23

Taylor has a BFA in Creative Writing from BGSU. She's on the editorial staff of Prairie Margins. Taylor enjoys writing articles and stories, chipping away at her to-be-read list, drawing in sketchbooks, and keeping up with her favorite shows/musicians.