The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

It’s that time of year again – the leaves change color, the weather cools down and the girlies break out the boots. I don’t know about you, but I am one of the girlies that loves fall. I love everything about it; the muted colors, the perfect cool-but-not-too-cold weather, Halloween, cozy outfits, and fall-scented candles. But, I especially love the fashion! So, let’s discuss some fall fashion staples that I love and hope you do too!

Shackets

We all know and love a good cozy flannel and a good cozy jacket, right? Well, shackets are like the perfect love child of the two! The word shacket is just a mix between shirt and jacket. Shackets can come in all different colors and styles. Shackets can be a really simple way to be warm and cozy while spicing up your fit a little. Shackets also look good on everybody and be styled to be more feminine or masculine! For style tips, I love to wear these with a simple outfit like a plain t-shirt and jeans to make the shacket the star of the show! I also love pairing shackets with a hoodie underneath as a transition to winter in colder fall months!

shacket1 shacket2

Trouser Pants

I’m sure we can all guess what I mean when I say trousers. Trousers can come in different styles and obviously different colors. I’m personally a huge fan of having your pants be the star of the show or more interesting in some way. I think trousers are the perfect way to do that. They’re flattering on everyone and so much comfier than regular old jeans. I like to call the vibe of a trouser fit “grampy chic.” It’s like the pants can be giving somebody’s grandpa sometimes but also like a cute, chic version of gramps! But, they can also give businesswomen depending on the style. For style tips, I usually like to pair these with a more fitted top since the pants tend to be straight or wide-legged. I personally love the look of a tighter, fitted top with looser pants. You could also pair them with a sweater tucked in for a full grampy look or go full business woman and add a blazer! These are also a great item to thrift!

trousers1 trousers2

chunky loafers

The chunky loafer trend started last fall and in my opinion, is absolutely a staple for a fall wardrobe. Take it from Vogue! I don’t know what it is about these but I’m obsessed with how they look in any outfit. They can be dressed up or down, whether you want to wear them to your office job with some trousers (!!) or with a simple pair of jeans. They also come in all sorts of colors and can have different chains and jewels on them. I feel like these can work with multiple different aesthetics too depending on how you want to style them. I love the way they look with little ankle socks! I’ve also seen them with a higher heel more recently and I’m here for it!

loafer1 loafer2

Midi Skirts

The midi skirt trend started somewhere around spring to early summer and it’s here to stay! Midi skirts are gonna be a great transition piece for the current weather where some days it’s warm but still a little chilly, where you could wear long sleeves. They’re also one of those pieces that can be super versatile and go with any aesthetic. You could pair it with some Doc Marten’s or chunky loafers (!!) for a more casual, grunge look. Or you could pair it with some heels or heeled boots for a little more of a feminine, classier look.

midi2 midi1 2

TurtleNecks

I feel like this one speaks for itself. I don’t think that turtlenecks ever went out of style. They’ve always been a fall staple for me! Turtlenecks are just so versatile and easy to style. They could be a long sleeve turtleneck shirt, a turtleneck sweater, or my personal favorite, turtleneck collars (also called turtleneck half-tops). Turtleneck collars are perfect for one of my favorite fall looks – wearing a turtleneck underneath a crewneck. Wearing just the collar prevents you from getting too hot like you might if you were to wear a regular long-sleeve or sweater turtleneck. I’ve also seen variations of the half-top more recently that are a little longer and worn over a turtleneck long sleeve, which I also love. Long sleeve and sweater turtlenecks can be paired with literally anything, like a shacket(!!), and are perfect for layering in the colder months to transition to winter!

turtle2 turtle3turtle1

cargo pants

I think cargo pants like these were trendy in the 90s, early 2000s, and now again. It seems like they make their comeback every decade! I love cargo pants because they’re so effortless and comfy (which is a common theme here if you haven’t already noticed). They look good on everyone and they can be high-waisted or low waisted and more straight-legged or super baggy, depending on your style and what you prefer. Like I said with the trouser pants, I love more of a tight, fitted top with baggy pants but, I do also love a more masculine, all-baggy fit sometimes too depending on how I’m feeling, especially with these pants! For style tips of a more fitted top, I would pair these with corseted top (!!) or any type of simple fitted top. For a more masculine, baggy look, I’d pair these with a graphic tee, maybe with a long-sleeve top underneath if it’s chillier!

cargo2 cargo1 1

Corseted tops

This last piece is one that in my opinion, is timeless. Corsets can be traced all the way back to 1600 BC and they aren’t going out of style anytime soon! This year, corset tops started to gain popularity in the spring, and continued into summer and they’re here to stay for fall! Corsets are so versatile that they can be worn in any type of clothing piece, like the dresses at this year’s Emmys, or a long sleeve top for fall! You can find so many different long sleeve corseted tops, but you could also layer a tank top corset under a sweater or over a plain fitted long sleeve. I think they also can be styled in different aesthetics. I would pair these with a simple pair of jeans for a night out, or even with cargo or trouser pants(!!) for that fitted top, baggy pants look!

corset1 corset2 1

chunky boots

For the last fall fashion item, I want to talk about boots. You may be thinking, everyone wears boots in the fall, right? But I want to talk specifically about two kinds of chunky boots to add to your staples. The first is a chunky Chelsea boot and the second is a chunky sock boot. Doc Martens makes some cute Chelsea boots that I love! While the two look pretty similar, I know the sock boot isn’t for everyone. The sock boots can also come in longer ankle lengths! I personally am obsessed with the sock boot but you can get a similar look from either one. I would pair the boots with jeans, a midi skirt (!!), or some simple leggings on a more casual day!

boot2 1 boot1 2

I hope that you enjoyed this article and if you draw inspiration from any of these pieces, we’d love to see your looks! Tag our chapter on Instagram @hercampusbgsu!

Bri Schimpf

Bowling Green '23

I'm a senior at BGSU majoring in Visual Communication Technology. I love all things creative: photography, graphic design, digital art. I’m also passionate about fashion, beauty and fitness! :)