Wellness

3 Ways to Transform Your New Years’ Resolutions into End-of-the-Year Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

it’s almost october and i COMPLETELY forgot about my new years’ resolutions.

It wasn’t until a few days ago that I realized there are only a little over two months left of the year. I don’t know about you, but I am a proud resolution-maker. Every January, I make sure to write a list of things I want to accomplish by the end of the year: whether it’s mentally, physically, spiritually, etc. As I get older, I’ve began to realize that I take my resolutions a little bit more seriously than before. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m starting to consider more of what I want, what I intend to do, and where I want to be, or if it’s just me becoming more aware of the things I do and say, or both.

One pattern that most people can agree is prevalent when it comes to New Years’ resolutions is the fact that pretty much nobody ever carries out their resolution(s). As fun as it is to think about reaching your biggest goal, it can be difficult to get started and remain consistent. I think that’s one of the biggest reasons why people find accomplishing a goal to be so unobtainable, because it’s a challenge. The thing about a challenge, though, is that not only do you experience so many new things, but you will be able to see your personal growth by the end of it.

I was reflecting back on my own New Years’ resolutions and comparing my situation then to mine now. My priorities were so much different then because my life was in an entirely different place. The goals I had at the beginning of 2022 are not entirely accurate anymore now that we are reaching the end of the year. I wanted to figure out how to take those resolutions and tweak them to fit my life now, so I came up with 3 ways to do this.

1. Redefine your priorities

Instead of jumping right into what you want to accomplish, write down the things in your life you want to prioritize right now. For instance, some of my biggest priorities are learning how to be alone, gaining independence, and improving my self-image. Goals and resolutions aside, these are the most important things to me right now that I want to focus more on. Another great way to redefine your priorities is writing down what you prioritized at the beginning of the year vs. what you do now so you can see the changes you have already experienced.

Even if you just have one single main priority, expand on that and ask yourself why it’s your biggest priority, how it became so important to you, and your existing relationship with it. You can even do this if you have an entire list of priorities, it just may take you a little longer!

2. CREATE A PLAN

After you’ve recognized and defined your priorities, consider what it is about them that you feel you are presently lacking and why. For example, if your biggest priority is to feel healthy, what do you think is the reason why you don’t already feel that way? Is there a mental or physical block that is making it more difficult? Consider this and apply it to your own priorities.

Once you’ve done this, create a plan that you will use to transform those priorities into obtainable, reachable goals. Ask yourself (and write down!) what you will do daily to reach these goals, how you will do it, when you will put time aside to focus on it, and even who is involved. Remember, not every battle has to be fought alone. The people closest to you can help you reach your goals, too!

3. PUT it into action

Now that you have a plan, start implementing it into your daily routine. Even if they’re just tiny habits, they can do so much for you in the long run. Every week, try journaling and checking in with yourself to see where you are with that specific goal. Is it still your priority? Is it still important to you and worth working towards? Does it still fit into your current situation? If you answer any of these with a ‘no’, try reevaluating what you want in the present moment and recreate a goal and plan for it.

Putting your plan into action is the hardest part of accomplishing a resolution. Remaining consistent is the most important aspect of reaching a goal. The key is to remember to feel your feelings, take time for yourself, confide in those that you trust, talk about your feelings, and reminding yourself why your resolution is a priority in the first place. You got this, I know it!

Alexis is Co-President of Her Campus at BGSU and a third-year senior studying Marketing. Her passions include graphic/digital design, her spirituality, content creation, pasta, writing, and inspiring other women. She enjoys writing about womanhood, college lifestyle, wellness, and relationships. She also has her own blog, her glow, that she started in 2021 and has been working on building ever since.