This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

Homecoming week was one for the books! With all the different events, fellowship, and guest stars, it was a week full of excitement. One of the most unique nights was the talent show, as students here at Bowie State University showed off their talents and skills. It was amazing to see the different performances, from singing to dancing to spoken poetry, each performance was exciting.

Here are my top picks from the talent show. 

Tatiana

One of the performers that made an impression performed two of her own songs and had a cute white sweat-pant two-piece. Her first song was about being hurt and in love, this is something I would play in my car with the windows down. Her second song was about a guy doing her wrong, it was quite melodious. She prompted the song by asking a guy in the audience for help. She brings him to a chair in the middle of the stage and me and the entire audience begins to blush thinking we are about to witness the next Bowie State scandal. 

Once we got twenty seconds into the song, it was anything but that. She started singing about how he did her wrong and the realization on his face that it was a song about the guy being terrible was delightful. It was a funny and beautifully song plot twist.

Rapper

The next performance that was a crowd pleaser was another girl that performed her own song and dance. This time, it was a rap with a full choreography. It was a fun and energetic performance as the girl hyped up the crowd and was confident on the stage. She grasped the attention of almost everyone in the auditorium and gave a (literally) breath-taking performance. I was exhausted for her after she was done dancing and it is so unfortunate that I did not catch her name.

Poet

Finally, by far one of the most stunning performances was by a poet. The fact that she was able to quiet the entire auditorium in two sentences was powerful. You could hear a pin drop, that’s how quiet it was. She spoke on gun violence, racial injustices, the innocent lives of those killed, and the hypocrisy in America. It was truly an amazing performance and even when she regained her stanza, she did it with grace and hardly seemed fazed. She also finished without a mic, her voice booming throughout the whole auditorium for everyone to hear. 

The talent show is a special event because it’s a chance for students to advertise themselves and perform in front of an audience sometimes for the first time. It also is a platform for new upcoming artists to show their music and get people to listen. Supporting in-house artists is a way to uplift each other and allow people the opportunity to grow in their music. The talent show had some amazing performers and I truly wish the best of each student’s future endeavors. I can’t wait to attend next year, maybe I can watch you perform next. 

Amber Workeman is a junior Sociology major. She is new to the writer community and is excited to be part of Her Campus at BSU.