This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowie State chapter.

In 1985, October was declared Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Since, throughout the month of October, women all over the country host and attend parades, events and even runs to show support and raise money for breast cancer.

We all bust out our pink ribbons and discuss the importance of women’s health. I love that women come together to not only support the women they know but strangers as well. 

There is a certain love that comes from having women in your corner, that you just can’t get anywhere else. 

But Breast Cancer Awareness month is about more than community building. 

It’s about awareness. Becoming more conscious about what breast cancer is, how it affects you, and what you can do to prevent it. All that sounds complicated but, truthfully, it’s about knowing your body. 

As women we have to become aware of our bodies and our hormones to thrive. Puberty, sex and periods make us pretty in tune with how our bodies operate but health is more than what you can see. We women have to become aware of our history and predisposed conditions. 

Did you know that age, family history, and breast density are all factors that can increase your risk of developing breast cancer?

You may be asking how can I change something that I was born with or that happens naturally and the fact is you can’t. But, you can do research on your family health history and check your breasts regularly. Ask the women in your family about genetic health concerns like cancers, gene mutations and even non- cancerous breast related issues. 

What can you change? 

Your lifestyle.

Poor diet, weight and alcohol consumption are factors that can increase your risk of breast cancer. Exercise and maintaining a healthy diet can improve your overall health and wellness. It is recommended that women start getting mammograms at age 40. Before then, you can talk to your physician to get a breast exam or how to do a self exam at home.

A Breast Self exam is easy and a great way to keep track of your body’s changes. Be present with your body and recognize what is normal or out of the ordinary. Spending this time with my ever-changing body has helped me appreciate my body more. I understand what to keep the same and what I may need to change.  

Your body will change and so will you. 

It’s important to love yourself in all your stages and phases. 

Be comfortable with the woman you are and the woman you will become. 

Aniya NiKole

Bowie State '23

Aniya Ingram is a senior at Bowie State University. She has a passion for learning and a love for writing. She enjoys making jokes and laughing with her friends. Her hobbies include shopping, traveling and helping others. She aspires to build her community through her advocacy in her Broadcast Journalism- Communications major.