jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Reasons it’s Okay to be Single at University.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bournemouth chapter.

It seems that people are beginning to find university romance pretty quickly. Maybe you’re the only remaining singleton in your friend group, or maybe you’re just sick of seeing the ‘cute’ couples scattering campus. Although it annoys you when you hear every little detail about your friend’s dinner date, like most other singletons, you will suffer a slight twang of jealousy every now and then. But it’s not all that bad.

Here are six reasons not to resent being single at university:

1) WORK

You’re at uni for a reason – and, as frustrating as it may be, the workload and assignments are always top priority. Why let anybody get in the way of that? No two-hour phone calls every night reaching a crescendo of, “No, you hang up first”; no arguments when you have to really crack down and focus on an essay; and no distractions. Being a career-orientated person is eventually for the best, promise.

2) LIBERATION

Kiss that cute guy at the bar – because you can. You’ve come to university, where there are thousands of men and women to eye up across the club. You might have escaped a small village, or moved from a big city, but the new scenery and fresh meat gives you liberation you can only ensue while single. You go for whatever you want.

3) MONEY

That present your room-mate just bought their partner may have been super cute, but now you’re watching them eat super noodles every day because it set them back a fair amount. Keep your pockets full instead, and treat yourself. That student loan belongs to you and you can spend it on wine, chocolate, and Netflix if you want to.

4) THOUGHTLESSNESS

Worry, worry, worry: Relationships are the art of having constant consideration and care for your significant other. But worry not, for those without a partner – all thoughts are yours. Do what you like, when you like. No texting every 10 minutes when you’ve gone for a drink to check in and keep the other half updated. The only updates you need are for the glass when it empties….and the conversation with your girls.

5) DATE NIGHT

Every Thursday night, your best friend disappears on her date night…leaving you at home, bored and lonely. Or does it? Think about it, you’ve got these nights to yourself – and whomever you want to spend them with. As your friend meets the same partner each time, you can have a calendar of copious dates lined up. Date night doesn’t have to be depressing – Just think of all those fish in the sea.

6) YOU

University is a time, as cliché as it sounds, when you ‘discover yourself’. Why let yourself be distracted from that? Be exactly who you want to be – You want the full uni experience, and succeeding at your degree and having a social life is hard enough. A relationship can make it difficult. You can focus on nothing but yourself in those spare 10 minutes.

So, to the lucky ones in love, you’ve got it good. But don’t worry if not – because in the words of Destiny’s Child: “I depend on me.”

Jodie Boyce

Bournemouth

A writer and journalist from London, studying in Bournemouth.