How to Protect Yourself from Meningitis this Semester.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Have you had your meningitis vaccine? If not, Boise State is offering free vaccines on September 9th and 24th in the Bronco lounge at the Student Union Building! You can check if you’ve received the meningitis vaccine by contacting your primary care doctor, or if you are from Idaho, they can look it up at the free vaccination clinic.

What exactly is Meningitis?

Meningitis is an inflammation around the spinal cord that will leave one in 10 people affected dead and another 1 in 4 permanently paralyzed. (Yikes!) Simple things like kissing and sharing water bottles, things that are done on college campuses every single day, spread meningitis. Meningitis has already had several outbreaks on college campuses across the United States, like Princeton and UC Berkley. Receiving this one simple shot can protect you from getting meningitis, and will leave you free to kiss whoever you’d like! (Ahhh, that sounds much better).

Boise State student recieving his vaccines!

What are the symptoms of Meningitis?

Many symptoms of meningitis are a lot like the flu, which is why many people don’t realize they have meningitis until it’s too late. Symptoms include high fever, stiff neck, vomiting, and nausea. If a persistent headache and seizures accompany flu-like symptoms, you should see a doctor right away.

Yuck!  How can I make sure I don’t contract Meningitis?

There is one simple solution to preventing a meningitis outbreak on Boise State’s campus – come on down to the bronco lounge in the student union building to get your meningitis vaccination! Once you get your shot, you’ll be given a sweet color changing water bottle as well as a button that reads’ “I’m protected from meningitis – KISS ME!”  Sounds like a great way to steal a kiss next time we go out – all while preventing meningitis!

A pin and a color-changing water bottle (pick yours up when you get your vaccine!)