Why Fall Semester at Bloom Is The Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Football season. We may not be a Big 10 school but our football team is actually one of the best in our division so what’s better than spending your Saturday afternoon tailgating with friends and watching our Huskies do their thing? Then follow the Huskies’ performance with your favorite NFL team on Sunday. Seriously, fall was just meant to spent snacking with sports.

New Commons. Have you been down to eat at the Scranton Commons yet? Our beloved dining hall got a major makeover this summer and it’s awesome! The food is relatively the same with a better salad bar and a few more options but you’ll feel like you’re in a whole new place with the elevated bar-stool seating and more sophisticated feel. 

A break from your parents. Don’t get us wrong, we love our parents. But living back in our childhood bedroom with our parents there to watch over us all summer got old by the Fourth of July. Revel in your freedom at school and stretch out from being cramped in your own twin bed.

Homecoming. A weekend full of Husky pride, floats, parades and parties, you can bet collegiettes love Homecoming weekend! It’s also a time when alumni come back to campus so you’ll get to see some of your favorite graduates.

Fall fashion. Crop tops and high-waisted shorts were great for the summer but we’re so excited to get back into our leggings, jeans, sweaters and boots. Isn’t is just so much easier dressing for fall, anyway? So bring out those montrous September issues of Vogue and make your own fall trends!

New activities. Did you sign up for any new clubs at the Activities and Involvement Fair? Fall semester allows you to get involved with so many new groups of people and add new experiences to your resume. And in case you didn’t know, Bloomsburg has a ton of fun clubs and activities so you’re bound to find something you love, including Her Campus Bloomsburg! Learn more about our fabulous publication here and join here!

New classes. It’s a whole new semester and you’ve got a brand new schedule filled with classes that you haven’t had the chance to get behind in yet! The fresh start each semester is great to renew your dedication to class readings and keeping up with the notes. Plus, the further you progress within your major, the more likely your schedule will be filled with classes you actually want to take. So go ahead, get a little excited… we won’t judge.

The return of your favorite TV shows. We loved binge-watching our favorite HBO and Netflix shows over the summer but now we’re itching to get new episodes of our favorite network TV shows like New Girl, Sons of Anarchy, Modern Family, American Horror Story and The Mindy Project

Free gym. Did you spend months of your summer job’s paycheck on your gym membership this summer? Or did you just forgot the whole fitness craze you were so dedicated to in the spring? Being back at school means you have access to the Rec and all it has to offer! No more paying crazy prices, running into your highschool classmates or getting weird stares from your friends’ parents at your local gym!

New living space! You know what that means? New apartment and dorm decor! You can finally put all those Pinterest craft ideas to use and make your new space entirely your own. Plus, as you mature throughout college, you can update your home decorations to your newfound tastes – you only have to love it for 9 months, then you can take it down!

New roommates. Did you get sick of your roommates last year by midterms? A new year most likely means new roommates and you’re still in the honeymoon phase of your relationship. No one has left dirty dishes in the sink or woken you up at 6 a.m. on their way out to the gym. Roommates can be like your family away from home so the new semester is your chance to appreciate them. And is there anything better than coming home after a long day to your best friends?

Starbucks weather. We all know how chilly it gets in central Pennsylvania each fall and winter but there’s no better cure for cold hands on a brisk October day than a hot Pumpkin Spice Latte.The extra caffeine boost during midterms certainly doesn’t hurt either.

Fall concerts. Icona Pop is coming to Bloom on Thursday, October 30! 

Halloween. Mean Girls said it best: “In girl world, Halloween is the one night a year where a girl can dress like a total sl*t and no other girl can say anything about it.” While not all girls look to Halloween as an excuse to dress provocatively, we all love scouring Pinterest for the most original costume ideas and getting our craft on making them with our friends. Halloween weekend always plays host to some of the best parties of the year and it’s still an excuse to eat copious amounts of candy…right?

Pretty foliage. You know those mountains and hills we’re all cursing at as we’re hauling our backpacks up to campus? Well, it turns out that they’re pretty spectacular once the fall foliage sets in and turns campus so beautiful that it could be a postcard.

Thanksgiving Break. Thanksgiving is the perfect time for Bloom collegiettes to acknowledge all the things we’re grateful for in a year, including that extra day off on Tuesday, making our decision to skip classes Monday and just leave on Friday all the more justfied. And really, is there anything better than a holiday that is all about stuffing yourself with the best food ever?

Black Friday. Whether you like a good deal or just want to burn off those Thanksgiving calories, Black Friday is a shopper’s delight! Stock up on Christmas gifts for friends, roommates and family at a discount and get some of that adrenaline pumping while you elbow your way to the Michael Kors bag of your dreams at 50% off.

Winter Break. Unlike summer vacation, winter break is actually a relaxing time to enjoy friends and family and the holiday spirit. While graduation in May brings a lot of its own stressors into the summer, winter break is a collegiette’s repite from a hectic semester. You may pick up your old seasonal job for the six weeks of break or take an online class, the most stressful thing to worry about it what kinds of Christmas cookies you want to eat. 

So, as the semester begins to set in, remember all the wonderful things about the fall and appreciate them before Spring semester is here!

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.