10 Reasons to Join HC Bloomsburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Didn’t land that big internship this summer? Need more writing experience? Looking to flex your PR muscle? 

Her Campus Bloomsburg is seeking students with a passion for modern journalism, social media, public relations, advertising and marketing to join the HC Bloomsburg chapter. You may be wondering… Why Her Campus? Why should I care? Well, here’s our top ten reasons why you should click here and join:

1. Gain exposure and followers by promoting your work on a nationally recognized platform. HC and its founders have been named to Bloomberg Business Week’s 25 Under 25 Best Young Entrepreneurs, Forbes’ All Star Student Entrepreneurs, and The Boston Globe‘s 25 Under 25, among other honors. So, what does that mean for you? As Her Campus becomes increasingly prominent throughout the media industry, your involvement becomes increasingly more impressive! Once you graduate, potential employers will recognize Her Campus on your resume and may put your application at the top of the pile! 
  2. HC Bloomsburg reaches an average of 3,000 readers per week and counting! That’s a lot of readers! Plus, viral content on HC Bloomsburg has recorded over 40,000 views! No other student media outlet has the reach, publicity and clout of Her Campus. 
  3. Gain real-world experience preparing you for a future career in communications. In it’s essence, Her Campus is an entirely student-run media outlet, meaning you don’t have a faculty advisor to do a lot of the work for you. While that may seem a tiny bit scary, you truly gain real-world experience by being able to work independently for an international publication. 
  4. Her Campus alumni have gone on to jobs and internships at Glamour, Vogue, Vanity Fair, Seventeen, Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar, People magazine, W magazine, Teen Vogue, InStyle, Lucky, Esquire, O magazine, MTV, The Washington Post, Women’s Wear Daily, The Huffington Post and many more! Not only does that set an incredible precedent for current HC members, that means tons of HC alum are all currently working in the media industry serving as connections for all of us! New this semester, HC Nationals has partnered up with alumni to give Campus Correspondents connections in the fields they’d like to work in. There’s no better way to get a foot in the door than with a personal recommendation! 
  5. Become a leader! HC Bloomsburg writers have the opportunity to serve on the Executive Board as a Senior Editor, Social Media Director, Public Relations Manager or Recruitment Director, all of which entail building leadership skills and exercising them on campus.  
  6. Build your portfolio. Any type of writing job you apply for after graduation is going to want to see a sample of your work. Use your HC clips to fill up your portfolio and show diversity among your samples. 
  7. Bond with a team of wonderful collegiettes and share all the swag, goodies and treats our sponsors send us! But really, have you guys seen our posts about our Survival Kits? The girls at Nationals certainly know how to take care of us! Packages magically arrive at our CC’s door filled with beauty products, coupons & vouchers for all types of merchandise and HC swag to distribute among readers and staff. 
  8. Improve your writing, PR, social media, advertising and/or marketing skills. With a team of editors, contributors are able to brainstorm, draft, write and publish their own pieces so you get firsthand experience at with the editing process. Social Media Directors, along with PR Managers are able to learn the ins-and-outs of marketing and advertising for an online brand by utilizing our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts and planning events to build a presence on campus. 
  9. Expose yourself to incredible career growth opportunities, such as the Her Campus National Intercollegiette Conference. Seriously, if you haven’t caught on yet that HC is amazing, each summer, they host a national conference where real-world professionals in the media industry speak to attendees about life in the magazine industry, breaking into freelancing, how to make the most of your internship, building a perfect resume and practicing your interviewing skills. Last year, key note speakers included Josie Natori, fashion designer, and CEO and founder of The Natori Company, Executive Editor of Parents Magazine Chandra Turner and Jason Wagenheim, Vice President and Publisher of Teen Vogue. Oh, and BCBGeneration had a sample sale and Chipotle catered lunch, not to mention all the free goodies attendees left with! 
  10. Have a platform to highlight other individuals and groups that do amazing things on campus! Most importantly, Her Campus gives an unarbitrated voice to students. Within big university settings, a lot of wonderful work and achievements slip through the cracks due to the sheer mass of students roaming the Quad and jamming the lines at the Commons. Contributing to HC Bloomsburg not only adds to your own personal success, you get to help highlight the work of other students who make a difference at Bloomsburg.

*Someday, you may be able to run your own magazine! And we’re not just talking about after graduation! Start as a writer and work your way up HC’s ladder to become Campus Correspondent (think President & Editor in Chief) and you’ll be running your own online magazine before you even graduate college! 

Fill out this brief form to learn more information and become a HC Bloomsburg writer! HCxo!

Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.