Mind The (Age) Gap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Birmingham chapter.

Last week many of you will have seen the adorable yet extremely courageous YouTube video posted online by Olympic diver Tom Daley. The 19 year old releaesed a video coming out to the world that he was in a relationship with a guy, and described his new boyfriend saying “he makes me feel safe and happy, right now I couldn’t be happier”. But there is something else to note about the new relationship, Tom’s new beau is 20 years his senior. US-born Dustin Lance Black, a gay rights activist and filmmaker is 39 years of age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJwJnoB9EKw

However, big age gaps aren’t that uncommon these days amongst couples in the public eye. Let’s take a look at some of the other celebrities who also currently take, or once did take, the attitude that age is just a number.

Beyonce and Jay Z

When Beyonce was just 19, she began to date 31 year old Jay Z. The age gap didn’t prove to be a problem at all for them and they married in 2008. This year they welcomed the newest addition to their family, beautiful baby Blu Ivy Carter.

Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green

39 year old Brian tied the knot with 26 year old Megan in 2010. They welcomed their first child, Noah, to the family in 2012 and are expecting their second child in two months time!

Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore

This couple had a 15 year age gap, and were probably one of the most famous cougar/toy-boy combinations in celebville. The couple started dating in 2003 when Kutcher was 25 and Moore 41, they later married in a secret Beverly Hills wedding in 2005. However in 2011 Ashton reportedly cheated on Demi which led to a split, their divorce was finalised last month and it has recently emerged she has sold the engagement ring he gave her for $250,000.

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes

The couple started dating in 2005 and within 6 months were expecting their first child, Suri. In late 2006 the pair married however it all fell apart in 2012 when Katie filed for divorce, believed partly to be due to his involvement in the Church of Scientology. The couple had a 16 year age gap.

Doug Hutchinson and Courtney Stodden

So far, none of the other couples age gaps have quite matched Tom and Dustin’s, but then comes Courtney and star of Green Mile, Doug’s massive 34 year gap. In 2011 the pair married when Courtney was just 16 and Doug was 51. This year Courtney appeared in the UK Celebrity Big Brother house, which made the couple much more well known to those of us who had ever heard of them before. Last month on November 1st the couple announced their separation.