This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

To whom it may concern:

I’ve started this letter the way I would start a job application to someone I didn’t know because that’s what our relationship is like now. You’re a stranger to me even though we once shared all our secrets. Love wouldn’t necessarily describe us but my feelings towards you could have blossomed into something great if you had let them.

I’m a very persistent person and when I set my mind to something, I try to achieve it. Maybe that’s why it was so hard for me to just forget about you and find a new boy to crush on. To me that wasn’t the best option because I didn’t want to believe what I had heard about you and even if they were true, I wanted to believe that people could change. I wanted, so badly, to prove everyone wrong and show them that you weren’t what they painted you to be.

That never happened because you let me down. We couldn’t prove anyone wrong because everyone was right. I was warned time and time again about you and I fought people so hard to believe you had changed. My mistake, I should have known that just like the time before and the time before and the time before you would let me down.

I wrote this poem when the wound was still fresh on one of those nights that you just can’t seem to escape my mind:

I’ll never know if you let go because you didn’t care enough

Or because you cared too much and you were scared

I’ll never know what we could have been had you tried a little harder

I’ll never know the alternate ending to the story that ultimately ended in tragedy

It’s a harsh reality but it’s one I’ve had to learn to accept

Sometimes things just aren’t meant to be

Sometimes two people are not made for eachother

And sometimes for whatever reason the puzzle piece doesn’t fit

But you realized this before me and you strung my heart along

You could’ve stopped it sooner

You could’ve told me no

You could’ve let me go

Instead it fell on me to address this fatal blow

I’m sick of your excuses

I’m sick of all your games

I’m sick of your smirk that always draws me in

It was the last straw

It was the final stroke

It was the end of the book

It was goodbye.

I don’t want to go on and on about what happened because you’ll probably never see this. But if you do I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for showing me that things don’t always work out and that might be for the best. And thank you for showing me that some people just can’t change. I will always remember the good times, but I will also never forget the bad memories and the nights I spent crying in my room.

Farewell. 

Jamie Goerke is a sophomore at Binghamton University majoring in English. In her spare time, she loves theater, taking photos, and being with her sorority sisters.