bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dairy or Non-Dairy Milk?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

I’ve never been a dairy milk drinker. And the older I got, why would I be? There are so many yummy alternatives like soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk and cashew milk. Regardless, I’m still super-conscious of what I consume so I’ve put the research into these drinks so you don’t have to! :P

Soymilk: Not the greatest for you, TBH. I used to down this stuff like it was water, then realized it gave me a little pain. Truth be told- and sorry for the TMI- it messes with the female hormones, and makes everything down there a little more complicated. Plus, it really only tastes great when it’s sweetened, and too much sugar- as we all unfortunately know- is a no-no. 

Coconut milk: Has the best consistency to resemble dairy milk, but has the strongest taste. If you like the taste of coconut- I do!- then go for it. However, many of my friends find this food’s taste to be too distinct- stay away!

Almond milk: I prefer this taste the best! Great alone, even better in cereal, and the best in smoothies. It’s not TOO thick, but it still fluffs up your smoothies to make them taste like milkshakes, but satisfy you like a healthy solution to that craving. 

Cashew milk: This may seem like a no-brainer, but this one definitely tasted the most like the food it was meant to resemble. Cashews have a naturally nutty taste, and so did the milk. I personally wouldn’t drink it alone, but probably could add it to a bowl of cereal or maybe even my coffee in the morning!  Coffee has a nutty taste already. 

All in all, I have nothing against regular dairy milk besides the taste. We could sit here till the cows come home (pun intended) debating if that type of milk is healthy- as some experts say lactose isn’t meant for humans, it’s meant for cows, others say that dairy milk is what’s been making human bones strong for ages. At the end of the day, just make sure you eat balanced meals overall, and change your milk options on the regular to get the benefits of everything :)

20-year-old pre law student, Drake obsessed, in a relationship with Chipotle guacamole, sincere yet sassy feminist.
Binghamton Contributor