Three Festive Baked Goods Recipes That Will Spice up Your Fall Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

As we approach October in Massachusetts, we are also approaching the season of change. We gear up for the winter months to come as the green leaves from the summer turn to a beautiful red and orange. Thigh-high boots, fuzzy sweaters, and fuzzy socks become my new wardrobe as my breath becomes transparent in the brisk morning air. 

This time of year is when I go to Ashley’s Farmer’s Market to greet the animals and go apple picking. I am always there the first opening weekend for the hayrides, corn mazes, and haunted houses. This time of year is when I take trips to Halloween City and end up overloading my house with Halloween decorations. This time of year is when I turn up Halloween Town in the background on my TV, curl up on the couch with a book, and eat some homemade festive baked goods.

Inspired by Pinterest, I gathered three healthy and delicious recipes that can spice up your fall experience this semester. 

Maple Sweet Potato Bread 

Ingredients 

• Three eggs 

• 1 ½ cup mashed sweet potato (cooked and peeled) 

• One ¼ cup almond flour

• ½ cup coconut flour 

• ⅓ cup melted ghee (or butter) 

• ½ cup maple syrup 

• 1 tbsp cinnamon 

• 1 ½ tsp baking powder

• 2 tbsp collagen*

Instructions: 

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the three eggs. Then, slowly, in order, add in the sweet potatoes, almond flour, coconut flour, and mix them. 

3. Mix in the maple syrup, melted ghee, cinnamon, baking powder, and collagen with a hand mixer. 

4. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper spreading butter or canola oil. 

5. Bake for 55 – 60 minutes 

6. Take out and let it cool for 15 minutes. You can refrigerate for 4-5 days. Enjoy!

Healthy Apple Crisp 

Ingredients

Apple Base:

• Ten cups of apples, cored, peeled, and sliced. 

• ⅓ cup of coconut sugar

• 1 tsp cinnamon 

• 1 tbsp white whole wheat flour 

Crisp:

• 1 cup rolled oats

• 1 cup white whole wheat flour 

• ⅓ cup of coconut sugar

• ½ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans

• ¼ tsp baking powder 

• ¼ tsp baking soda

• 1 tsp cinnamon 

• ½ cup melted butter or coconut oil 

Instructions: 

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a nine by 11 baking dish with canola oil 

2. Mix the apples in a bowl with coconut sugar, cinnamon, and flour

3. Pour into the baking dish 

4. In a separate medium bowl, mix the oats, flour, coconut sugar, nuts, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and melted butter. 

5. Sprinkle the crumble evenly on the top of the apple mixture

6. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the apples are bubbling 

7. Rest the crisp for 15 minutes, and enjoy it. 

High Protein Carrot Cake Cookies

Ingredients

• 2 cups of old fashioned oats

• ½ cup soy protein powder (vanilla preferred) 

• ¼ cup buckwheat flour 

• 2 tsp cinnamon 

• ½ tsp allspice

• ½ tsp salt

• 1 tsp baking soda

• 1 cup unsweetened applesauce

• ½ cup sticky sweetener (agave and molasses) 

• 1 tbsp and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar

• 1 tsp vanilla extract

• 1 ½ cups of shredded carrots (or two carrots) 

• ½ – ⅔ cups of raisins 

Instructions:

1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees and line with parchment paper two cookie sheet trays. 

2. With a food processor, grate the carrots if they are not already.  

3. In a large bowl, whisk together oats, protein powder, buckwheat flour, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and baking soda. 

4. Add applesauce, sticky sweetener, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. 

5. Fold in the shredded carrots and raisins. 

6. Measure out ¼ cup of batter and roll into a ball. Place them on the cookie trays. Press them down until about ¼ thick because the batter is sticky. 

7. Bake for 10 minutes or until the batter is no longer sticky. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes before eating. Enjoy!

Hello! My name is Marissa, and I am a senior at Bentley, pursuing a degree in Marketing and a minor in Information Design and Corporate Communication. I am also on the swim team, swimming sprint free. I love writing personal experience articles and reviews on stores and products.
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!