This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Is it hard to convince yourself to get up and go to the gym? Does your normal workout routine feel old and tired? Sometimes it’s refreshing to try something new and get out of your comfort zone.

Being a gym rat myself, I really enjoy being at the gym, but due to physical restrictions I found myself limited whenever I went. A friend mentioned that they were interested in trying Bikram Yoga, so I accompanied them for support and LOVED IT. Bikram Yoga, also similar to Hot Yoga, is a 90-minute class consisting of 26 yoga postures. Here’s the crazy part – all of it is done in a hot room that can be up to as hot as 110ͦF! The heat turns many people away, but I personally can say it’s not hard to overcome, and you feel great after.

If you’re sick of running on the treadmill for an hour to burn the desired calories, you should consider taking a Bikram class. You can burn anywhere between 500 to 700 calories per class depending on the effort you put in. Even for the runners, it’s an incredible way to stretch out tight legs or increase flexibility while gaining muscle tone at the same time.

The class consists of 26 postures, each with their own list of benefits, which are consistent each time you go. This may sound like it gets boring, but each class is a personal challenge, and it is amazing to see the progress you make. Some of my favorite postures are:

(Don’t worry, no one looks like this the first time they go!)

Dandayamana Dhanurasana– Standing Bow Pulling Pose

• Increases Circulation to heart and lungs
  • Improves elasticity of the spine, rib cage, and lungs
  • Develops balance and strength in thighs, hips, buttocks, and abdomen
  • Builds patience, determination, and concentration
  • Activates digestive system

[pagebreak]

Garurasana – Eagle Pose

• Improves flexibility of the 12 major joints in the body
  • Brings blood to the sexual organs, improves sexual vitality
  • Flushes out the kidneys
  • Relieves tension in neck and shoulders
  • Firms legs, arms, and abdominal muscles
  • Prevents varicose veins

[pagebreak]

Trikanasana – Triangle Pose

• Whole body is affected – bones, muscles, nerves, veins, and tissues
  • Changes in chemical imbalances in the body
  • Alleviates “saddlebags” and firm thighs
  • Chronic disease management by regenerating healthy tissue
  • Increases flexibility and mobility of hip joint
  • Strengthens the last five vertebrae of the spine

[pagebreak]

Salabhasana – Locust Pose

• Strengthens the upper spine
  • Good for gout, low back pain, low blood pressure, scoliosis, hunchback, slipped disc, spondylitis, menstrual disorders, tennis elbow, and varicose veins
  • Improves Digestion

[pagebreak]

Sasangasana – Rabbit Pose

• Through maximum extension of the spine, increases mobility and elasticity of spine and back muscles
  • Good for depression headaches, insomnia, diabetes, and respiratory illness
  • Relieves tension in neck, shoulders, and back muscles
  • Helps alleviate colds, sinus problems, and chronic tonsillitis through compression of thyroid and parathyroid

[pagebreak]

Savasana – Dead Body Pose

• Allows circulation to return back to normal to entire body creating internal cleansing
  • Helps reduce anxiety and irritability, reduces stress

[pagebreak]

Dhanurasana -Bow Pose

• Revitalizes all spinal nerves by increasing circulation
  • Strengthens entire spine and relieves back pain
  • Aids digestion, fights constipation, improves function of intestines
  • Good for bronchitis, obstructive lung disease, diabetes
  • Increases flexibility of shoulders

I have been going for a year and I’m hooked; I encourage anyone to go try it. I thought I was the least flexible person on the planet, but have found that I have made great strides through Bikram. There are even two local studios, one right in our backyard here in Waltham and the other in Harvard Square (make sure to catch the right shuttle so you’re not late!).  Check out their sites! Becoming a long-time yoga student can be costly; however, many studios offer really amazing first-time specials and have decent student discounts.

With consistency, Bikram can drastically increase flexibility and muscle tone along with improving concentration and focus. There’s no phony “Ohm-ing” or candles, just a great workout…Dripping sweat is a guarantee!

Namaste.

Photo Sources:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dandayamana+dhanurasanah

https://www.google.com/search?q=Garurasanah

Olivia is a senior at Bentley University studying Information Design and Corporate Communication. On campus, she is an Admission Fellow and Peer Facilitator for Bentley’s First Year Seminar program, as well as Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Bentley. In her spare time, Olivia enjoys reading, writing, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and going to Disney World (she’s obsessed).