Questions You’re Asked When You’re Not Studying Business at Bentley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

I’m an English major at a business school, and I’m never able to forget it. Every time it comes up, I get the same barrage of questions. I try to laugh it off and answer them, because I’m sure they’re genuine—but it sucks to hear the same questions every time the topic is brought up. Maybe next time, I’ll just show them this article.

We have that major?

Yes, we do. That’s why I’m doing it. Bentley offers 24 majors—10 of which are Bachelor of Arts, as well as 2 that are Bachelor of Science—that are not specifically business majors. We’re pretty even in opportunities, though I admit not in popularity, at Bentley.

Woah, really?

Really. I don’t just pick a random major and lie to people about it. That might be fun though, maybe I’ll do that next time.

You can do that here?

Yeah, you can. Not a lot of people do, but it’s still an option. Sure, the vast majority of students are business majors, but that still leaves more people than you would expect who are studying other things.

Why did you pick Bentley?

Why did I pick Bentley? It’s a good school that leads to good opportunities, that’s why. Sure, it isn’t know for it’s non-business majors, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t still offer great career services as well as everything else that Bentley brags about. Besides, the skeptic in me knows it’s probably a good thing to have a business background.

What are you gonna do after graduation?

Get a job—what are you gonna do after graduation? The way I see it, your major doesn’t necessarily dictate what you do in life. I do have an idea of a field I would like to go into, but I could end up anywhere and I’m okay with that.

So you’re gonna be an [insert job I’m not interested in that some people with this major go into]?

I might, or I might do any of the other countless jobs that go with this major that you don’t automatically think of. For me, people assume teacher or lawyer. When I think about where an English major might take me, I see a lot more possibilities.

Why would you wanna study that?

Because I’m interested in it, I like it. I have opinions that are different than yours and that’s okay. I happen to love reading and writing, even when I’m in classes with people who are admittedly only there to get a requirement out of the way. And that’s okay, too.

So like, what do you do for that major?

I take classes about it—exactly the same as you would for any major. At Bentley, it does mean that I have less specific courses I have to take—more liberty—but I still have to take a lot of classes that directly deal with my major, just like anyone else would.

Next time you find yourself meeting someone with a major you wouldn’t expect, think about it for a second. Though the immediate surprise is sometimes okay, it becomes a little expected. So before saying the first thing you think of, take a step to appreciate that you go to a school with people who are interested in completely different things than you. Bentley is a wonderful school that gives us all amazing opportunities.

Images Via:   1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.