How to Give Back to The Waltham Community in Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Halloween is officially over, and I think we all know what that means… It’s Holiday Season! As Thanksgiving approaches, I’ve been thinking about what I am thankful for this year. Of course 2020 has been a tough year for everyone, but as I look back, I am very thankful to have the blessings in my life that I do, including my family, friends, my education at Bentley, a roof over my head, and food on the table. I’ve come to appreciate what I have, and I realize it is important to not take my blessings for granted. This year I am inspired to try and give back to my home away from home in Waltham. This community has been great to me the past two months, and as we are sadly leaving in a few short weeks, I think it is an amazing time to show our thanks. Below, I’ve compiled a list of some non-profit organizations in the area that you can help out with a donation. 

Community Day Center of Waltham 

Mission: “The Community Day Center of Waltham provides day shelter and support services to adults who are experiencing homelessness. We strive to create a safe, judgement-free culture that is grounded in hospitality, compassion and mutual respect” 

The Community Day Center is currently accepting donations for their COVID-19 Emergency Fund. Through the pandemic, they have been serving lunches every day for those who are homeless. Thanks to their staff and volunteers, they are able to provide 150 lunches each week while following all CDC guidelines to protect their guests. All donations are used to provide lunch and hygiene kits for those in need. 

Donate here.

Healthy Waltham 

Mission: “We promote collaborative approaches to improving the health and wellness of underserved and low-income populations through programs that increase access to healthy foods, provide nutrition education, and create opportunities for physical activity” 

Healthy Waltham accepts donations that will go towards feeding healthy food to those in need due to COVID-19 and also towards their events promoting healthy eating and helping others in the future. You can also support this organization on AmazonSmile by choosing Healthy Waltham as your charity, and Amazon will donate 0.5% of the profit to the organization. Donate here.

Waltham Tenant Assistance Fund

Mission: “To support low-income Waltham tenants who need help making ends meet due to work disruption from COVID-19” 

The Tenant Assistance Fund is in need of donations that will go directly to a tenant in need located in Waltham. Their current needs are emergency housing, groceries, diapers, and cleaning supplies. They are working to grow their fund in order to help tenants with rent. 

Donate here.

Waltham Boys and Girls Club 

Mission: “To inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens” 

This club’s goal is to create a path to success for kids starting at an early age. Any donations are appreciated and go towards their youth programs and events. The Boys and Girls Club strives to set up children with good futures demonstrating good character, citizenship, and living a healthy life. 

Donate here.

This list obviously does not do justice to the many places you could go to help out and donate. There are many organizations in the Boston area you could explore, and of course, your thanks does not have to be limited to our community in Waltham. Consider how you could help out your hometown to show your thanks. If you are willing to get more involved, many organizations are also looking for volunteers. Embrace your inner thanks and get involved in your community whenever you can, not just during the holiday season.

Alexa Greco

Bentley '24

Third year student at Bentley Major: Marketing Minor: Information Design and Corporate Communication
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!