Fun Things to do This Columbus Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Need ideas for things to do this weekend? Here are some fun activities and events that I have gone to in the past.

A great activity this weekend is apple picking! It is a very popular time to go, so it may be busy, but the apples will be worth it. Some of my favorite places to get the best apples are Kimball Farms, Honey Pot Hill Orchards, Russell Orchards, and Connors Farm.

This weekend is also the 71st Annual Warner Fall Foliage Festival on Main Street in Warner, NH. There are many activities all weekend long such as a 5-mile road race, dog agility show, farmers markets, and an ice cream eating contest. Your friends and family would love spending all day here at the festival going to different activities, and they will never get bored!

To see over 5,000 of the most unique carved pumpkins you should go to the Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular located at the Roger Williams Park Zoo. While you walk along the path you can see the intricately carved pumpkins that have LED lights on the inside.

One of the best things to do this weekend is to go shopping either online or in the stores! Most of the stores will have great Columbus day sales. Stores like Best Buy, Kohl’s, Crate and Barrel, and DSW had some great sales and are expected to have similar or better sales this year!

If you live near or are visiting the Boston area, you have to go to the Boston Columbus Day Parade on October 7th. The parade celebrates the Boston Italian heritage by having marching bands, vintage cars, bagpipes, Italian-American organizations and Duck Boats in the parade. The streets and sidewalks are always packed so make sure to get a spot early!

For the more active people you should hike Mount Greylock, located in Lanesborough, MA. When you reach the top, on a clear day, you can see over 90 miles of the forests and mountains of Mass. Don’t worry, if you are not into hiking, but would still like to see the view, there is a auto road where you can drive up to the top!

The Great Vermont Corn Maze, located in North Danville, is also a fun and exciting activity to do this weekend. You can spend literally 2+ hours going through the big maze or you can opt for the shorter 40 minute maze. When you are done with the maze you can relax and enjoy some snacks like popcorn and ice cream!

Going to Salem, MA during the Halloween season is very popular due to the history of witches in Salem. Doing all of the activities and events in Salem this weekend is the best way to get in the spooky spirit before Salem gets too busy. There are numerous museums about witches and magic to visit and there are so many little stores to window shop. If you have had enough of the Halloween spirit, there are also live music concerts to enjoy.

Have a great break!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

Annie Romanzo

Bentley '20

Hi! I am a junior at Bentley and majoring in Finance with a minor in Spanish. I am currently a loan director of the microfinance club and just recently ran a half marathon!
Allison Weed

Bentley '20

Allison Weed is a senior at Bentley University. She is majoring in Marketing with minors in Information Design and Corporate Communication, and International Affairs. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of the Bentley University Her Campus Chapter.