This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.
I don’t know about you, but I still remember where the A Series of Unfortunate Events books were in my middle school library. I read through them and loved them, just as I loved the 2004 film. Obviously I watched the new Netflix series based on the books, and in only one day at that. But which is better, the movie or the series? I apologize now for any blatant favoritism that is to follow.

Count Olaf

Jim Carrey

Jim Carrey was nothing short of iconic when he played the dreaded Count Olaf. His amazing voices, sunken-looking eyes, and overall odd demeanor were exactly what you would picture while reading the books. His absurd outcries, mimicry of a monkey when Sunny would talk, and outlandish behavior made him perfect for the role.

Neil Patrick Harris

When I see Neil Patrick Harris, I admit, I have trouble seeing anyone other than Barney Stinson. However, Harris certainly had a fun time getting into the role. His strange musical renditions brought an edge of happiness to the otherwise depressing storyline. That being said, I always pictured Carrey’s monkey cries when Harris would whine at Sunny’s baby babble.

Violet Baudelaire

Emily Browning

The subtlety that Browning had when she played Violet perfectly captures the quietness that someone so introspectively inventive would have. Her care for her siblings is apparent in all of her actions, and who doesn’t want to channel her fashion sense? All black everything, yes please!

Malina Weissman

Subtle is not a word I would use to describe the newer Violet. Though I’m sure it takes almost as long to tie back one’s hair with a ribbon as Weissman does, it may be a bit overdrawn. She does have the older, in-charge sister vibe down, though.

Klaus Baudelaire

Liam Aiken

Klaus Baudelaire, the bookworm of the bunch, was aptly acted by Aiken. His scrawny figure and ease around books make Aiken a very convincing Klaus. He’s more withdrawn, in the same way that movie Violet was also more introspective. Even when he’s throwing a bit of a fit, it’s clearly just because he needs the time to calm down.

Louis Hynes

The glasses, the sweaters, the pale skin… everything we expect from Klaus Baudelaire, Hynes has. He demeanor, on the other hand, leaves room for want. He talks out a bit more, not just when he’s upset, and he does seem to be upset more often than he would otherwise. Of course, he is still a twelve year old who is losing guardians left and right, so who can blame him?

Sunny Baudelaire

Kara and Shelley Hoffman

Ah, the age-old trick of using identical twin babies for one part, you just can’t go wrong. I found that the Hoffman twins made an adorable and realistic Sunny. When she was biting things, it looked like she was really biting them. When she would talk, it really sounded like it was her. From being over-dressed to having over-sized teeth, she had an air of authenticity. Being able to at least stand on her own was also helpful, especially for her siblings.

Presley Smith, Tara Strong, and an unconvincing doll

I was outraged in some scenes with Sunny. I’m sure that it must be very difficult to have a baby cooperate for the amount of filming it would take to create a whole series, but I cannot have been the only person who noticed when Sunny was a doll! Also, the times when Strong was voiced over were not done very well, nor were those when Smith was animated. But she’s still an adorable baby, so I can’t say I’m that upset with the casting… at least when she is actually a human baby instead of an inanimate object.

Mr. Poe

Timothy Spall

Spall is bit rat-like in appearance (looking at you, Pettigrew). The bowler hat and constant suit make him look very put together. If I were to meet him on the street, I would expect him to be competent of giving three orphans a suitable home. The fact that he isn’t makes Spall all the more amusing as a character.

K. Todd Freeman

What is this?! Diversity! How refreshing! I don’t really get why he coughs so much, though? Also, his home life has me questioning some things as well. Other than that, I think that he’s wonderfully clueless about everything going on, just as he should be.

Lemony Snicket

Jude Law

Sitting in a quiet library reading the musings of Lemony Snicket, the voice of Jude Law is one that you might be likely to hear. He, like other characters of the movie, is a more quiet and subtle character. I found that he was truly disheartened to know of the Baudelaire tragedy. His pleas for me to stop watching were more genuine, especially since I never got a clear view of his face.

Patrick Warburton

Warburton was an exciting and adventurous Lemony Snicket. As voice actor in many other works, Warburton has a very soothing voice. However, the scenes in which he was running away from something we don’t know were very well done and added an extra plot to the series. Warburton is never a wrong choice for a mainly voiced role.

Though I have some things to dispute with the Netflix casting director, I still enjoyed every minute of watching the new A Series of Unfortunate Events. It stuck closer to the plot line and brought in more secrecy with characters like the Baudelaire parents and Lemony Snicket. Besides, with the real Snicket as an executive producer, how could they go wrong?

Photo Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.