Small Pumpkin In Hand
Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Fun Fall Activities Near Waltham!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

It’s officially fall, which calls for apple cider, halloween costumes with friends, cute dorm decor, and finally rocking that fall outfit that you’ve been dying to wear. Whether you’re looking to explore nature, pick some apples, or just get some fresh air, there are tons of fun and affordable fall festivities near Waltham! Here are just a few ideas for your next girls weekend.

Pick some apples in stow, MA

It’s undeniable—apple picking is a classic fall activity, and never seems to get old! Nothing screams fall more than apple picking (or maybe midterms…). If you never seem to have great luck finding the perfect apples, that’s okay! Personally, I go just to have fun with friends, take pictures, and get in the fall mood. A great spot that’s not too far away is Honey Pot Hill Orchards in Stow, Massachusetts, which is about a half hour drive west. I like to bring my camera with me to capture the memories. The orchard also has hayrides, corn mazes (which I’m the worst at), and other fun activities to check out! Right now, it’s open everyday from 9am to 6pm.

Be a leaf peeper for a day

If you’ve never heard of “leaf peeping,” it’s a very simple activity that involves traveling to wooded areas to view and photograph the beautiful fall foliage. As someone who has lived in Massachusetts their whole life, I can assure you that it is a perfect place to go leaf peeping with tons of scenic spots! Its famous hidden gem is the Berkshires, an area way out in western Massachusetts saturated with picturesque mountains and other landscapes. It’s about two hours from Bentley, but I promise it’s worth the scenic drive! It’s also a great place to stay for the weekend! If you’re looking to branch out, states surrounding Massachusetts—especially Vermont and New Hampshire​​—are filled with landscapes like no other. One of my family’s favorite spots is the Kancamagus Highway in northern New Hampshire, which offers breathtaking views of the state’s foliage. Warning: This area can get pretty crowded at times! I also recommend taking a scenic drive through the town of North Conway, also in New Hampshire, or the Quechee area in Vermont! If this doesn’t sound like you, almost anywhere in New England is a safe bet, so grab your camera (and that fleece jacket that you’ve been waiting to wear) and don’t forget to bring a friend along for the ride!

Go for a scenic hike

In my opinion, hiking is the perfect fall activity in the area. You can get some exercise while also getting a front row seat to view the spectacular New England foliage. It’s a great way to get some fresh air, get off your phone (and bed), and hang out with your best friends. My family and I like to hike on the Middlesex Fells Reservation Trail in Stoneham, Massachusetts close to home, which some locals call “the Fells”. This trail is my favorite because of the view of the gorgeous changing colors and Boston skyline at the end, which I like to think of as a little reward for making it to the top! (Fun fact: it’s actually named the Skyline Trail.) This trail is also perfect in the summer and spring (that is, if it’s actually not rainy and freezing) and is only a 20 minute drive from Waltham! There are plenty of other trails and parks right in Waltham with views that are just as stunning! My favorite trail in town is the Prospect Hill Park Trail. A 10-minute drive from Bentley, this trail is surrounded by gorgeous greenery and also offers an amazing view of the foliage and city skyline at the top lookout point! (Fun fact: If you look close enough, you can see Bentley’s campus, marked by the famous library clock tower! It’s fun to search for it with your friends once you reach the top!) This is a perfect spot if you or one of your friends have a car on campus! I did a sunrise hike with my friends here last year and it was cold but so rewarding! There’s nothing like a great view with a glowing, golden sunrise. Prospect Hill is open Sunday through Friday from 6:30am to 8pm, and Saturday from 7am to 9pm. Other local options include the Storer Conservation and the Beaver Brook North Reservation. There’s nothing wrong with binge-watching your favorite Netflix series and lying with your blanket and a Pumpkin Spice Latte, but hiking is a much more refreshing way to treat yourself and relieve exam stress. Just make sure to dress warm for sweater weather!

Tour Spooky Salem

Halloween is just around the corner, so it’s time to start getting in the mood. I’m sure by now you’ve heard of the city of Salem’s witch trials and witchcraft. It’s the first thing most people think when they hear “Salem”. It’s amazing how this history is still ingrained in the city, which is packed every fall with visitors from all over, especially in the month of October near Halloween. There are tons of walking tours that bring you around the city’s most iconic sites, and you can also stop at the Salem Witch Museum to explore on your own. A lot of these tours are more geared toward history buffs and others interested in learning about Salem’s dark past. But if that’s not your thing (it’s not my personal favorite), there are a few Halloween-themed tours called “ghost tours” to get you into that spooky mood. You can also grab lunch or dinner in downtown Salem which offers a variety of options. You’re guaranteed to find something to satisfy your cravings (especially if you like seafood), but just make sure to make a reservation if you go on a weekend as this area can get pretty packed. To be honest, there are a ton of fascinating things to see and do in the city of Salem that I probably couldn’t fit in one article, so go out and explore for yourself! (Click here for an awesome day trip guide to the spooky city!)

Visit a local fair

Growing up in a quintessential New England town, my favorite thing to do in the fall was go to the local fair, and I was always so sad when I missed it. My family’s go-to is the Topsfield Fair in Topsfield, Massachusetts, a classic located about 30 minutes away from Waltham. But being a seasonal fair, it usually runs for a couple weeks every year. This year, it’s running from Friday, October 1st to Monday, October 11, so you may not make it in time for this year, but it’s definitely something to put on your bucket list. The fair is always bustling with life, whether it’s thrill rides, games, parades, or animal shows, you’ll never run out of things to do! It also offers some of the most unique food around, including chocolate-covered bacon and gobbler sandwiches. Finally, if you just want to walk around and explore, there are some amazing culinary and visual art exhibits to check out. The fine art exhibit is my personal favorite, as it showcases work from hundreds of local artists, and you don’t have to be a professional! Overall, visiting the Topsfield Fair is the perfect fall activity for your friend group that you don’t want to miss! As always, there are plenty of other fairs to check out that aren’t too far from Waltham.

My name is Mia Ichimura and I'm from Greater Boston. I'm a fourth-year student at Bentley University majoring in Corporate Communications with a minor in Marketing. Following my graduation, I plan to pursue a career in public relations. In my free time, I enjoy reading, photography, listening to music, and spending time with friends and family. I joined Her Campus because I love writing and wanted an outlet to share my ideas and experiences. My favorite topics to write about are productivity and wellness!