Exciting Ways to Spend Columbus Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Syllabus week is long over, and you are probably back into the full swing of Bentley life. Luckily we can always count on Columbus Day weekend for a much-needed break. No Monday classes mean an extra-long weekend, so grab a group of your friends and check out these fun suggestions!

For the Party Girl: Road Trip to Montreal for the Weekend

Leave Friday after class and you’ll be in the heart of Montreal by 10 PM! Old Montreal is filled with cute shops and restaurants as well as many pubs for day-drinking activities (Stantos is a must— basically a classy darty!). There are also botanical gardens and a sky view ride to see the Olympic Stadium. In addition, the nightlife is awesome with tons of clubs! The best part is that the drinking age in Montreal is 18, so if you aren’t legal here, at least you are there! You can learn more about touring Olympic Park and the best rooftop bars in Montreal at these links.

For the Nature Lover: Campout in Maine

Okay, maybe camping is a bit aggressive for us less outdoorsy gals. But there are actually super cute inns that give you that outdoorsy, ~nature~ vibe without the bugs and lack of a shower. Check out The Big Moose Inn! Baxter State Park is a 10-minute drive away, and it’s the home of many hiking trails and gorgeous fall scenery. Other outdoor activities include kayaking, moose tours, and white water rafting.

For the Local Ladies: Apple Picking & Oktoberfest in Boston

Apple picking is a fall must for so many reasons— even if you only go for the cider donuts! Hit up Honey Pot Hill Orchards to pick your own apples and enjoy the start of fall to the max. 

Harvard Square Oktoberfest will be celebrating its 38th annual event on October 9, featuring a parade, international food vendors, and live entertainment. A ton of restaurants throughout the area will be celebrating with food and drink specials not only during this festivity, but all month long! Prepare to enjoy the season of pretzels and beer!

For the Day Trippers: Newport, RI & Salem, MA

An hour and a half ride will take you to Newport, RI: an adorable beachfront town filled with cute restaurants and a ton of sightseeing. Rent a bike for the day or take a tour of the Newport Mansions! You can even stroll along the beach and cherish the last semi-warm days until next spring.

Although they basically celebrate Halloween all year round, October gives Salem an extra cool vibe. The town center is filled with wand and witchcraft stores and lots of crazy costumes! You can barely make it 10 feet without crossing a historic landmark or museum, and eating at Rockafellas is a must! Check out all the local events that they have planned here.

Photo Sources

Probably shopping or eating a taco.
Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.