This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Months before moving into my dorm my freshman year of college, my roommates and I put effort into planning out a well-furnished room, partly because, as first-year students, we wanted to make sure our living space was enjoyable. By the time we moved in, the finished product was amazing. All of our comforters matched, and our common area was designed perfectly for guests. Even our teammates on the swim team would often lounge on our plush couches and prop their feet up on our coffee table. When our door was open for display, our hallmates would stop and compliment our room.

Reflecting on the long process, I have realized that the organization and planning were worthwhile, but there were definitely some mistakes I learned from along the way. There are plenty of tricks to reduce the amount of time, research, and money spent on room decor that I am more than happy to share with you today!

1. Greenery

My roommate uses greenery on her side of the room, which inspired me to share this life hack. Fake plants are always a great idea because they are inexpensive and do not require maintenance for a busy college student. Like my roommate, you can hang them or place them on your desk for display, adding a natural brightness to your room. Wayfair is a fantastic website to use for purchasing greenery because they have a large selection of fake (and real plants). They also have room decor like couches and rugs, ranging in all different price points.

2. Woven Baskets/Bins

When I was a freshman, I got this idea from YouTube influencer Kiara Madisen, who also shares great tips for college students. Woven baskets are a perfect two-in-one furniture/decoration piece for a room. They act as holders for additional items, which saves up space to make a room look clean and minimizes clutter. Woven baskets come in authentic, rustic designs that beat any boring plastic bin (in my opinion)! I recommend checking out Home Goods, Urban Outfitters, and Etsy for their adorable woven baskets and trays. 

3. Lights!

The more lighting there is, the more lively the room looks. Lighting is also an essential component of every type of room, so why not use it to decorate too? I usually purchase the multi-colored wire-string starry lights and hang them around my bed. For apartment-style housing, these lights can also hang in a common-room and an entryway. I stock up on these at a low price at department stores like Target. Additionally, Salt Crystal lamps are suitable for visual appeal and can be used at your convenience to work at a desk. Urban Outfitters and Amazon have great Salt Crystal Lamps.

4. Pictures

A smart way to personalize your room is to develop and display pictures of you, your friends, and your family. Images are like the icing on the cake because they are useful for filling up walls and desk spaces. I enjoy having images in my room because it makes me feel at home and reminds me of happy memories with my loved ones. Not to mention, as a freshman, pictures are fantastic conversation starters for when new friends come in your room to hang out!

Hello! My name is Marissa, and I am a senior at Bentley, pursuing a degree in Marketing and a minor in Information Design and Corporate Communication. I am also on the swim team, swimming sprint free. I love writing personal experience articles and reviews on stores and products.
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!