timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

All the Single Ladies… Living in a Single Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

When I got assigned a single, I didn’t know what to think. Here’s what I found out:

Loneliness:

While everyone is like, “OMG, I’m so jealous you have your own room,” sometimes you wish you had a roommate to talk to late at night, go eat with, or just be with when you’re feeling down. You miss out on the “typical college dorm experience.” 

My Room, My Rules:

Having a single means doing whatever you want. You don’t have to worry about being too loud or putting headphones on to watch a movie or listen to music. You can FaceTime your friends from home at 2 AM because because you’re all on different time zones and not have to worry about waking anyone up. You can always study in your room, which means fewer trips all the way up to the library (AKA less stairs). Basically, you don’t have to worry about getting the Worst-Roommate-Ever Award.

Personal Hospital:

Getting sick is never fun, but usually when you get sick in college, your roommate is inevitably going to catch whatever you have, too. In a single, you don’t have to feel guilty about spreading Treebola or Slade-Plague to a roommate and can just focus on getting better.

Extra Effort:

You really have to make the extra effort to meet people when you’re in a single. That means not being afraid to go out on your own and introduce yourself to people on your floor and leaving your comfort zone. While this is true for every college freshman, being in a single presents a little extra challenge.

It’s Small AF:

There really is only room for one person. If you’re into coziness, you’ll like it… unless you don’t like your chair hitting your bed 24/7, or hardly having room to walk to your dresser. Your room will also never be a place where people come to hangout or talk, but that just means that no one besides you is going to be touching your stuff.

Being a single lady was hard at first, but in the end, there is nothing like a little time for my roommates: me, myself, and I!

Photo Sources:

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.