The 9 Best Halloween Movies from Our Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

As October is quickly coming to an end, it’s time to get in the Halloween spirit! If scary movies aren’t your thing, or if you want a little blast from the past, check out some Halloween classics that are sure to bring back some memories! Check out ABC Family’s 13 Nights of Halloween to catch most of these movies. 

1. Casper

Casper the Friendly Ghost is one of the cutest ghosts around! By now, there are a bunch of different Casper movies and series that you can check out. However, the original Casper and Casper Meets Wendy are my personal favs. How can you not love young Hilary Duff, pre-Lizzie McGuire?

2. Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus is another classic that you are bound to see a hundred times on TV this upcoming week. It’s fun and a little ghostly, with some Salem witch history thrown into the mix!

3. Halloweentown 1, 2, 3… but not 4

The Halloweentown series is the best! Here, only the first three are featured because they are my favorites. Unfortunately this series took a turn in the fourth movie when the original Marnie didn’t come back. Nonetheless, the first three are the best and represent what made Disney Channel Original Movies so great!

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas is definitely on the darker side of child Halloween movies. With spooky animations and songs, the audience follows Jack through his Halloween and Christmas themed adventures.

5. It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

This one is a classic that our parents can even remember from their childhood! Follow the Peanuts Gang as they prepare for Halloween. If you haven’t seen this in a while, it will definitely bring back some family memories!

6. The Addams Family

This is another creepy classic that is bound to make you laugh, with a catchy theme song that no one can forget!  

7. The Little Vampire

The Little Vampire is a cute Halloween movie about an unconventional pair of friends. The pair meets when Tony (a human kid) moves from California into a small castle in Scotland and meets Rudolph (a vampire kid)!

8. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice: classic, creepy, funny. Though it may have been a little too scary when we were young, Beetlejuice is a funny Halloween-themed movie that everyone should watch at least one more time!

9. Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School

Scooby-Doo is another series with plenty of spooky Halloween options. My very favorite Scooby-Doo movie would have to be Scooby-Doo and The Ghoul School! Watch Scooby and Shaggy become gym teachers at Miss Grimwood’s Finishing School for Girls, where the girls were not exactly what they were expecting.

Photo Sources:

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.