This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

This semester has been stressful yet transformative, packed yet fulfilling, mundane yet new and exciting – and everything in between. Part of me feels like it was just September, and the other part of me can’t wait until winter break. In short, it has been a mix of highs and lows – and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

As I reflect on fall 2022 (before it comes to an end!), here are a handful of things I’m grateful for about this semester (so far):

1. Living close to campus

This is something I take for granted more than I like to admit. Being only a 25-minute drive north of campus means that I can go home every weekend if I wanted to, and that is a luxury that not everyone has. As I’ve had the opportunity to meet exchange students, international students, and even those from the other side of the U.S, I’ve grown in my appreciation for my hometown. Although I don’t visit home as often as I did my first year of college, it is still so refreshing and restful to come back every once in a while. This year, I surprised my mom for her birthday, which fell on a weekday, and drove home just in time for the cake celebration.

1. Studying a major that I love

When I first arrived at Bentley, I was unsure of whether its program offerings suited my interests. But when I discovered my current major, Information Design and Corporate Communication, I fell in love with everything about it. In short, the program is a combination of web design and writing-related courses. In my classes, I get to design websites, work with real clients, write campaigns, and call all of it “schoolwork.” What I love about taking classes for my major is that I wake up excited to learn and be able to apply what I’m learning to future jobs or internships.

1. Fall scenery at Bentley

While New England offers the beauty of all four seasons, I strongly believe that fall is the best season here. Being a more suburban campus, Bentley is surrounded by trees and greenery, which makes the autumn season even more vibrant and visible. There is nothing like walking to class and being immersed in the world of fall colors – deep oranges, dark red, and hints of golden-yellow falling by your side and crunching under your shoes.

1. The ability to study abroad

Next semester, I will be studying abroad in Milan, Italy, the fashion capital of the world and the country’s business hub. I am beyond excited to experience a new city and culture. While I certainly have some fears about the experience, I trust that it is going to be a transformative semester. I start classes in exactly two months from the day I am writing this, which is unbelievable to even think about. When I applied, the start date seemed so far away, but now it is almost here. With each step of the pre-departure process, I find myself discovering new aspects of the experience to be excited about.

1. My small groups on campus

This fall, I started co-leading a small group on campus of first-year women, as part of Cru, a Christian organization focused on college ministry. I have loved being able to serve other students on campus through this group, and have seen the fellowship and spiritual growth already. I remember my freshman small group and how it shaped me for the better, both personally and spiritually, and I look forward to witnessing the fruit of the work that my friend and I are pouring into this group now.

1. Learning from great professors

At Bentley, I’ve had the opportunity to learn from amazing professors and get to know them on an individual level, which is one of the best things about going to a smaller university. This semester is no exception. Not only are all my professors experts in their respective fields, but they also have a visible passion for teaching and a drive to help students learn and grow, which in turn motivates me to pay attention and work hard. Not to mention that each professor is also very personable and cares about students holistically, not just about their score on the midterm. I have already gained so much valuable knowledge that I know will be incredibly useful in my future career. A few things that I learned so far: how to conduct market research, how to present findings/insights to clients, how to use key UI/UX design tools, and how to make better group decisions.

1. In-person classes

Similarly, I’ve been able to participate more and pay more attention with fully in-person classes. Before the pandemic hit, few of us truly understood the value and benefits of in-person learning. Seemingly small things like raising your hand and communicating with group members became much more difficult when classes moved to Zoom for what seemed like an eternity. I think I speak for hundreds of other college students when I say that in-person is ten times better than online. One of my favorite things about returning to fully in-person class sessions is being able to build relationships with professors and other students in my classes.

1. New Her Campus members!

Last but certainly not least, I am thankful for all the new Her Campus members that have joined this semester! To all our new members: Thank you for your interest and commitment to the club! We are so excited to have you join us and love seeing your article submissions. We hope this org will help you grow both personally and professionally, as it has for me. At a business school, it is not always the case that you get to write or be creative in your courses, so having Her Campus as an outlet to do so and build a community of creatives has been a great experience.

My name is Mia Ichimura and I'm from Greater Boston. I'm a fourth-year student at Bentley University majoring in Corporate Communications with a minor in Marketing. Following my graduation, I plan to pursue a career in public relations. In my free time, I enjoy reading, photography, listening to music, and spending time with friends and family. I joined Her Campus because I love writing and wanted an outlet to share my ideas and experiences. My favorite topics to write about are productivity and wellness!