10 Things to Know About March Madness Before the Championship Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

March Madness is almost behind us, and for those of you who are going to watch the championship, here is a quick refresher to prepare you for the game!

1.)  March Madness is a basketball tournament for the 68 best teams in NCAA Division 1 Men’s Basketball

2.)  It has been going on since March 14th

3.)  Millions of people make brackets to predict who will win—however, it’s extremely rare for someone to make a perfect bracket (there currently isn’t one for this season)

4.)  When brackets inevitably get busted quite easily, this is how many fans tend to react:

5.)  The championship game is Monday, April 3rd, and will be Gonzaga University vs. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

6.)  Gonzaga is currently 37-1, while UNC is 32-7

7.)  Both UNC and Gonzaga are ranked number one, yet many analysts are predicting Gonzaga to win the final game

8.)  …However, UNC isn’t really an underdog. This will be the 11th time they play in the championship game; they’ve been in the Final Four 20 times, and they have been a number one seed the most times out of any basketball school

9.)  Some players to watch for: Justin Jackson, Joel Berry (UNC), Przemek Karnowski, Nigel Williams-Goss (Gonzaga)

10.)  UNC played in the championship game last year—and lost—so while Gonzaga is the favorite to win, UNC could seek their revenge

Images via: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 /

Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.