You Don’t Have to be a Music Major at Belmont

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

The first thing people ask me when I tell them I’m attending Belmont is, “Oh! So you’re a musician!” No, I’m not … I’m far from it. So when I explain I’m actually an English major, people always ask, “Why are you going to a music school for English?” Then I explain that Belmont is much more than a music school; it is a school for everyone.

One of the first things that drew me to Belmont was the wide array of majors it offered. There is something for every interest, whether you’re into math, science, literature, music, health, etc. Belmont’s slogan is, “From here to anywhere,” and it is true. There is no rule saying you have to be a songwriting or music business major to succeed at Belmont. Yes, the music school is what Belmont is most known for, but all the other majors are just as valid and reputable.

Being an English major at Belmont is very interesting and exciting because it means I’m still getting to watch all of my musical friends succeed in their field and I get to pursue my own goals apart from music and what-not. Everyone is equally valued at Belmont, which is the beauty of the school and the faculty. There are no boundaries to what students can pursue at Belmont, even if you aren’t majoring in music.

It can sometimes feel like I’m the only person that isn’t a musician, but that’s a good thing. English majors are needed here. So are math majors. And science majors. And everyone else, too. That’s the best part about Belmont: each and every student has something beautiful and different to contribute to the Belmont community and everyone is valued. So it doesn’t matter if you’re a music major or not; Belmont welcomes everybody. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Annie Kerr

Belmont '22

Hi, I'm Annie! I'm from Oklahoma City and I am majoring in English at Belmont University in Nashville! I hope to become a writer or publisher in the future. Some of my favorite things include cats, Christmas, rainy days, books, and romantic comedies!