This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Imagine yourself walking through your school’s parking garage at night. You’re putting a few items in your car when you begin to hear a woman screaming in another level of the garage. You can’t see her, you don’t know where she’s located, but you can hear the terror in her voice.

This past week, a close friend of mine experienced this exact scenario. She was so rattled by what she heard in the garage that she contacted our school’s security, who acted on it immediately.

Although the incident occurred on campus, where I like to think that I am safe, there are precautions we all should take when we are walking through a parking garage even if it’s in an area you are familiar with.

First and foremost, never be on your phone while walking through a parking garage. Talking on the phone, texting and listening to music are distractions and take your attention away from your surroundings. If an attacker is hiding in the garage and sees that you are unaware of their presence because you’re on your phone, it makes you an easy target.

The next precaution to take is to park near an exit. This makes the window of opportunity for someone to approach you not as likely because you are leaving the garage faster.

Since concealed carry firearms are not allowed on most college campuses, consider carrying pepper spray or some other type of weapon allowed on your campus with you to protect yourself from an attacker. In the event that someone approaches you with ill intentions, you will be glad you have something to defend yourself.

Most importantly, always walk through a parking garage with at least one other person. Walking by yourself may make you an easier target, especially if you look timid, lost or intoxicated. Going with a group provides more safety for yourself and your friends if an attacker is in the vicinity.

With all this in mind, if something bad or unexpected were to happen to you or someone in your group while in a parking garage, you’ll be prepared and be an example for others to follow.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Madeline is a student at Belmont University studying journalism and public relations. She is from Cincinnati, OH. Madeline enjoys writing, traveling, researching fashion trends, engaging in political discussions, and listening to music. After college, she hopes to write about fashion, travel, politics, and other current events.