brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Self-Care Tips and Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

We’re nearing that point in the semester where first tests in classes are starting to hit and things begin to get stressful. Taking care of yourself is an important aspect of college life, and as simple as that sounds, it’s sometimes hard to do. Here are some tips and tricks to help you do some self-care. 

1. It doesn’t have to be anything huge. 

Self-care doesn’t always have to look like fancy dinners and expensive purchases or experiences. Some days it can look like taking a bath instead of a shower or painting your nails or making coffee or your favorite meal. Don’t forget that the little things count. 

Image credit: jarmoluk from Pixabay

2. It’s not always Instagram worthy. 

Self-care isn’t always pretty. I’ve had days where self-care is cleaning my horrible mess of a room or doing the dishes or finishing my homework early. It’s not always the things I talked about above, and that’s okay. Self-care is anything you need it to be in order to function well and properly and sometimes that includes not as fun adult things, like cleaning or being productive. 

3. Incorporate healthy habits into your routine. 

One of the easiest things to do when you’re having a hard time is to slip into old, unhealthy habits. Do your best to drink enough water, stick to a sleep schedule or bedtime routine, and try to work out when you can. If your body is feeling good, then chances are you will too!

Image credit: keresi72 from Pixabay

4. Practice gratitude. 

Write down three-five things that you are thankful for every day. They don’t have to be anything huge; for example, they can be that you got an A on a test or you were able to catch up with friends or talk to your parents or best friend on the phone, or even that you were able to get out of bed that day. Reminding yourself of the things you are thankful for will help put things into perspective. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Rachelle is a junior at Belmont University. She is studying music therapy and has a minor in psychology and hopes to work in hospice someday. Along with writing, she enjoys reading, learning new musical instruments, and spending time with friends.