bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Ever wonder how someone manages on campus job, a challenging major, and maintains a healthy and active life? Meet one of my best friends, Mckayla Murray! Mckayla is a junior nursing major at Belmont University. Originally from Fresno, California, Mckayla is a fitness connoisseur who has continued her love for working out throughout her time in college. When she’s not in class in the Inman Health Sciences building or in clinical at one of the many amazing hospitals here in Nashville, Mckayla is an instructor for fitness and recreation here at Belmont.

Q: What made you decide to attend Belmont?

“One of the main reasons I wanted to attend Belmont was so I could move to Nashville! Growing up, I listened to a lot of country music, so I thought moving to Nashville was an obvious choice. When I came to tour Belmont I fell in love with the atmosphere and the nursing program that it had to offer.”

Q: How made you choose your major?

“I chose nursing as my major because I have always had an interest in biology and the health and functioning of the human body. Nursing allows me to combine my passion for science and health with care for others. Freshman year, I was uneasy about being a nursing major because I had no idea what a profession in nursing looked like. There have been many instances where I have considered changing to a different major that still involves patient care, but the main reason I have stuck with nursing is for the connection that I get to form with patients.”

Q: What’s your favorite thing about being an instructor?

“My favorite thing about being an instructor is being able to see the growth of those who attend my classes and being given the opportunity to create a space for people to come and be active for 45 minutes. I  may never know what any of my class participants have gone through in a singular day or week, they could have failed a test or might be having issues with their roommates, but when class starts it is my job to create a space where they can focus on themselves for 45 minutes and enjoy some physical activity.”

Q: What advice do you have for students wanting to engage in their fitness?

“Never be afraid of trying something new! Everyone you see at any gym or boutique fitness studio was once brand new too. I once had my favorite cycling instructor say, ‘Think of how far you could go if you knew you wouldn’t fail.’ That phrase has stuck with me ever since and helped encourage me to embrace any new challenges or ideas with a full heart.”

Q: What do you plan to do after graduation?

“I plan to pass the NCLEX (fingers crossed) and work as an RN here in Nashville! I am not entirely sure what area of nursing I would like to go into, but at the moment I would to love to be on an oncology floor or possibly a pediatric oncology floor. After gaining some experience, I would like to return to Belmont to get my masters degree and be a family Nurse Practitioner. While working as a nurse, I would love to stay involved with cycling and possibly still work as an instructor on my days off!”

Tori is a junior nursing major at Belmont University. Throughout her life, she has had a passion for writing. Although she chose to pursue a career in nursing, she still wants to tell stories and hone in on her craft. During her free time, Tori enjoys spin class, exploring coffeeshops in Nashville, and organizing events with her sorority.