Member Monday: Ashley Harris

Name: Ashley Harris

Year: Junior

Hometown: Hampton, Virginia 

Major/Minor: Publishing major with marketing emphasis. English Writing minor.

Role at HC Belmont: Writer

Why did you choose Belmont?

I applied to over 10 different schools but chose Belmont because they are the only school in the country to offer a Publishing major. I committed without ever having visited campus!

What’re your career goals? 

I am passionate about literacy, so my hope is to work at a major publishing house in NYC working with books in the Children’s or YA genre. Down the line, I would like to focus on a career in writing as well.

Favorite place to go in Nashville?

So many!!  I love getting brunch at Loveless Cafe. I also frequent Parnassus bookshop and the Humane Association.

Do you have any hobbies?

Reading is probably a given, but I also like to sew and watch all of the movies. Does chasing my cat when she is chewing on a mystery item count?

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Belmont?

Most definitely the literature class I took in London when I studied abroad. It was all about Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes, so it’s pretty tough to beat! 

Top 3 favorite bands?

Bleachers, Linkin Park, and Paramore. (I’m still in my emo phase. Sorry, not sorry.)

Favorite Movie?

The Truman Show

Favorite Quote? 

“Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” - A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh 

Favorite Food? 

Pizza

What would you say to someone considering joining the HC team?

Do it! Not only do I get to be part of a community of strong, creative women, I have also grown as a writer and a woman. You will gain experience, knowledge, and confidence from being a part of the Her Campus team!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram