Wellness

I Tried Instagram-Ad Deodorant so You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Anybody else feel extremely seen by their Instagram feed? I’m a predictable gal, but sometimes I feel like Instagram ads target me before I even know that I wanted that thing. 

However, in this case, I have to admit something: I am absolutely obsessed with smelling good, and I know it. I’d been searching for a natural, aluminum-free, non-staining, perfect deodorant for a while, and one extremely photogenic brand kept coming up. 

This isn’t an ad, but I can’t promise that your Instagram won’t show them after I tell you: it’s Myro. 

The deal with Myro is that it’s a subscription deodorant because the original order is a refillable, reusable, extremely cute container that you pop pods of deodorant into and use. The deodorant scents read like perfume swatches: I’m using “Chill Wave,” which has notes of jasmine, spearmint and cucumber. Each subscription box after your first contains three pods, and you can choose your scents and mix and match if you want. (Next time, I might check out “Solar Flare,” with a palette of “orange + juniper + sunflower.” Summer aesthetics, anyone?)

Yeah, we really did just get that hipster in that last paragraph. But hey, eco-friendly AND possibly helps fulfill my dreams of making people think I sweat jasmine green tea? Sign me up. Literally. 

Size comparison between my previous deodorant and Myro. It’s worth saying that the Schmidt’s deodorant actually starts where the Myro container hits. 

(Caveat: I’ve been using natural deodorant for a while, so I skipped the funk phase, but when you switch to natural deodorant, it often takes a week or two for your body to get over the toxins from your previous deodorant. Just something to keep in mind: gotta smell worse before you get better.) 

So I’ve been using my Chill Wave for two weeks now, and here are my impressions so far: 

First impression: Very easy to pop into the container, but it’s a little smaller than expected. It smells kinda like the grown-up version of that cucumber melon hand sanitizer we were all super into: sweet but not sickly. Goes on super wet, but not too strong.  It also has a cooling effect, but maybe that’s because I have spearmint in mine. 

1 week in: I took my new deodorant out for a spin and wore it to a concert (Hozier is amazing live, folks, I highly recommend), and although it’s not an antiperspirant and I definitely did sweat, I can happily say that at the end of the night, all I could smell was … cucumber and jasmine, popping up in little puffs here and there when I moved. [Hozier voice] Amen

Obviously, it looks good wherever you want to put it. 

2 weeks in: You guys, I spent four hours reading to kids in a stuffy old rec center gymnasium and I gotta say, your girl was sweating like a sinner in church and barely noticed. I was really concerned that I was going to have to reapply – which is normal for natural deodorants, it’s just that I forgot to put it in my bag – but my measure for a good deodorant is if I can still smell it at the end of the day during my shower. It doesn’t go on super strong: it just kinda shows up when you need it. Like a State Farm insurance commercial. 

Obviously, what works for my body doesn’t work for everyone else’s, but when it comes to natural deodorants, I’m really happy with Myro. Their first subscription boxes are $10 (case + first pod), and then it goes up to $30 for each subsequent box (3 per box, for $10 a pod.) I got mine 50% off because of… well, an ad they were doing. Sometimes, marketing really does work. These deodorant hipsters really know what they’re doing. 

(I don’t know what to do with the pin they included in my subscription box that says “You smell good,” however.)

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Victoria is a senior English major at Belmont University minoring in Legal Studies and French. A proud Californian, she loves eggs, spy movies, and the Dogspotting group on Facebook.