From Here To Anywhere: Arielle Schrader ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Name: Arielle Schrader

Year Graduated: 2015

Major: Public Relations

Hometown: Southaven, MS

Where are you working currently? What does your position entail?

“I work at a communications agency in New York City called PMK*BNC. I do everything from brainstorming media angles to drafting budgets to pitching media to working on-site at events. One thing I love about working at an agency is that I get to touch a lot of different projects and clients, and work with different people. Right now, my time split between spirits and tech clients and every single day brings a whole new set of challenges.”

Why did you choose Belmont?

“Belmont unexpectedly fell into my lap. In high school, I visited to support a friend who was really interested in one of the music programs. I had no intention of attending Belmont, but during the visit, I loved the campus, the students I met and thought Nashville would be a great place to go to college. I knew I wouldn’t be “just a number” at Belmont.”

What were you involved in on campus?

“What wasn’t I involved in? I was a Bruin Recruiter, Campus Tour Guide, Towering Traditions Leader, member of the Orientation Council, member of Alpha Gamma Delta and held a few officer positions in Belmont’s Public Relations Student Society of America Chapter.”

How do you think Belmont helped prepare you for the working world?

“At Belmont, I had access to diverse experiences, which have each played a part in my current role at PMK*BNC. I learned more about my industry through PRSSA and internships, I learned important leadership lessons as Orientation Council member and I learned communication and teamwork as an Alpha Gamma Delta. Through all of these experiences, I’ve gained an incredible confidence in myself as a leader and professional that has already allowed me to reach new heights in my career.”

You had eight internships in undergrad, what was your secret to balancing everything?

“When I look back, I honestly have no idea how I balanced everything. My competitive personality is definitely what drove me to even want to have that many internships. I was also lucky to be surrounded by amazing friends who were achievers, doers, the kind of people who push you to be the best version of yourself. I really did have to push myself and I missed out on a lot of sleep. But when it comes down to it, I was simply determined to make it happen”

What is one mistake you’ve made along the way so far, and what did you learn from it?

“Noticing tension with a team member and doing nothing about it. Sometimes when you’re stressed or busy, you want to ignore tension at work and avoid difficult conversations. When I finally I got the guts to speak to the team member, I learned the tension was felt on both ends and we were both so thankful to move past it. Now, we’re great friends and we work so well together. I learned that sometimes you just need to be brave and have difficult conversations at work, but always remember to approach them with a problem-solving mindset.”

What advice do you have for the students trying to break into the PR world?

“Everyone is going to tell you to network, say yes to every opportunity and be a lifelong learner. And yes, it’s incredibly important to stay curious and never lose the desire to learn more because there will always be someone better than you. But one thing I wish I was reminded of is that there are many different, unique paths to success, especially in such a vast industry like PR. My biggest advice to students trying to break into the PR world? Determine what success means to you individually, then work really hard to accomplish your goals. There’s no need to directly compare your career path to anyone else’s and, remember, every experience is valuable.”

The job market can be a tough place for many recent grads, what do you think made you stand out?

“Great question! I think I really knew how to sell myself. My first job was in higher education, so to transition back into PR, I took the time to personalize my resume and cover letter to each position I applied for and I really, and I mean really, prepared for interviews. The job market can be tough, but recent grads need to be willing to put in the ground work to show companies and agencies that they are truly excited about the position and why it makes sense for the company to hire them.”

Where do you hope to see yourself five years from now?

“In five years, I hope to see myself in a leadership position, perhaps at an agency or in-house. I’d like to master the fundamentals of communications so that I am able to make a larger impact, share my wisdom and mentor junior staff.

What is your ultimate career goal?

“Now this is an impossible question. Right now, I don’t have an “ultimate” career goal, but it’s important to me that my career is fulfilling and rewarding, always challenging and gives me the opportunity to do inspiring work. I think our career goals change and shift, as our values and priorities as people change and shift throughout our lives. At the end of the day, I want to make an impact on the people I work with and do something important with my skills. When I know exactly what that is, I will definitely let you know.’

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram!

Born and raised in Louisville, KY, Sarah came to Belmont as a member of the class of 2019. Sarah joined the Her Campus Belmont team as a chapter contributor her sophomore year and took over as President just a few months later. While you'll find her studying corporate communications and theatre during school, in her free time she enjoys hot yoga, bingeing Game of Thrones, and working to make her chapter the absolute best it can be.