Spring Fashion Trends for 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Whenever I skim the pages (let’s be honest, webpages) of Vogue, I wish that I could dress in clothing as fabulous, stylish, and daring as the outfits in the fashion layouts.  Unfortunately, do to both my bank account and the desire not to be gawked at for trying out the next crazy-high fashion trend, the clothes that look so beautiful on those models will never make it to my closet.  The one place I always like to look for the upcoming season’s trends is the magazine’s “A-Z” guide.  Now, not all of the letters are always practical when it comes to fitting them into my wardrobe (Eighties Icons, probably not going to happen), but I do think some of these trends are easily wearable.  So, I’ll show you some of my favorites and give you examples of affordable pieces that could fit into any collegiette’s closet!

B Is For Bomber

As much as we girls think we can go out in the spring without a jacket, we know we will be very unhappy with the decision by the end of the night.  So, a great fashion investment is a leather jacket.  It is just light enough for the spring, but still gives your outfit some edge that a fleece or cardigan simply cannot do.  The style of jacket for this season is bomber, so check out these bomber jackets from Urban Outfitters.  Neither is real leather, which leaves both your wallet and conscious feeling a little better.  

BDG Vegan Leather Bomber Jacket

Cheap Monday Jaylin Silky Bomber Jacket

C Is For Cropped

A trend that is already visible on campus this spring is cropped pants.  With all of the bright colors and fun patterns available, there is no wrong way to go with this trend.  While it may seem like this is a better trend for the taller girl, I think as long as the fit is perfect, these pants look great on any shape or size.  Nordstrom has a huge selection of cropped pants, and these are a few of my favorites.  

DKNYC Print Skinny Ankle Jeans

Vince Colored Ankle Skinny Stretch Jeans

K Is For Kicks

This trend is much harder to incorporate into your closet if it doesn’t fit the style you already have.  I think that a funky pair of Nikes can look so cool with a spring dress, but I’m not sure if I could personally pull it off.  A more muted take on this trend would be to wear a more basic high top sneaker, or even just buy some crazy neon running shoes so you can feel stylish at the Plex.  Check out Nike.com  to create your own color scheme for your shoes.  

Nike Free iD

L Is For Ladurée Colors

First off, I admit I had to Google what Ladurée colors meant when I first read it in Vogue.  Now that I know it refers to colors based off of macaroons, I think it is the perfect color scheme for spring.  On pants, tops, skirts, dresses, and even accessories, these colors will brighten up your wardrobe and flatter any skin tone.  I am obsessed with flared skirts right now (they look great on anyone!) so here are some in Ladurée colors from tobi.com.  

Around the Globe Skirt

Scuba Flare Skirt

P Is For Pencil Skirts

For college students, springtime is not just fun in the sun, but it is also interview season.  Many of us are now gearing up for internship interviews, and maybe even job interviews. It is important to look your best, but also to show off your personality and great sense of style.  To stay on trend and business appropriate, go for a pencil skirt.  It may seem like a staple in any wardrobe, but don’t be afraid to buy one with a unique design quirk like this Notched-Hem skirt from The Limited

Notched-Hem Pencil Skirt

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."