This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Attempting to find the perfect shade of makeup is a monolithic task for any person who wears makeup. We all know the exhausting game we play in beauty stores; trying to find the ideal shade that matches both your face and neck, manages to not make your skin appear gray while concealing imperfections, and is cost-effective. At best you end up with two of the three requirements, usually sacrificing the comfort of your wallet. This task is made exponentially more difficult for people of color who do not often find themselves at the forefront of popular beauty products. Beauty products tend to lean toward the majority of makeup users, the color palettes often lack the range to be fully inclusive to people of all skin tones. Although there has been an increase in selection across brands for people of color, it is often viewed as not enough in the thought of inclusivity.

Mented Cosmetics is a brand that came to fruition when two African American women, Kj Miller and Amanda E. Johnson, shared frustrations of not being able to find the “perfect” shade of nude lipstick. This thought created the idea of Mented Cosmetics which turned into a national brand that appeals specifically to people of color. Miller and Johnson believe that “… Every woman should be able to find herself in the world of beauty, no matter her skin tone. … When it comes to beauty, no one deserves to be an afterthought.” The pair created an online shade finder to match the various products on their site to even further assist people of color in finding their perfect shade in all kinds of makeup. Miller and Johnson are dedicated to helping people of color all over the nation who have the same struggles as they experienced while finding a range of shades that are perfect for them. 

As you scroll through the products on the Mented Cosmetics website, the products are divided by sections of the face; lips, eyes, cheeks, face, and even nails! On the site, there is every basic makeup product anyone would need with the added benefit of the shades being handcrafted for people of color, a rarity in the beauty industry. The prices are ridiculously affordable compared to name brands; nothing is more than $50, even the foundation! Mented Cosmetics is making huge strides in the right direction of the beauty industry by providing an affordable makeup brand that caters especially to people of color. I genuinely cannot wait to see what this brand does in the future!   

Hey! I'm a junior majoring in English and Psych!
Alexandra is a Senior History major with an English minor at Boston College who can always be found procrastinating by reading books or watching Netflix. She is known for making puns so bad that not even her friends laugh at them (but she always does). Her favorite ice cream flavor is Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Favorite movies include When Harry Met Sally, Dead Poets Society, and The Princess Bride.