Meet the Muffin Men of 20 Gerald

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

We have all heard the nursery rhyme about the muffin man. It goes a little something like this, in case you haven’t heard it. “Do you know the muffin man, the muffin man, the muffin man? Do you know the muffin man who lives on Drury Lane?” Well I think I have found Boston College’s muffin men, but these men live on Gerald Road.

Alright let’s be real ladies, we all want a man who knows how to cook! The idea of our men in the kitchen is a mouthwatering image in itself, but what if they actually enjoyed it? What a novel idea, it’s like a dream, someone needs to come wake me up because I found men who love to cook and are actually amazing at it. Though these men refer to themselves as “The Muffin Men;” they tend to steer clear of baked goods and focus their energies on high class, trendy gourmet organic meals! Trust me ladies, these are some of best meals I’ve had since being at BC.

Who makes up this “cook their way into your heart” group? The main men are Michael Gordon, Christian Nicholson, and Mathew Murphy. Though more participate in the cooking, these three take the positions of head chefs. They are all juniors and live off campus on Gerald Road.

I got to experience firsthand the time leading up to the meal, the preparation of the meal, and the enjoyment of the meal itself. The guys sat down with me and answered a few questions about their experience as chefs. During the preparation and cooking of the meal, the guys had their music blasting. They use Soundcloud and usually just put on their favorite soundtracks of the week. They aren’t afraid to be a little goofy, singing and dancing around to the favorite songs! “The music helps us get creative, it lets the juices flow, and when we get going we just add whatever we want to our meal,” says Christian, one of the head chefs. “We find ourselves getting creative EVERY weekend, and two to three nights a week cooking basic dinners that are still quite tasty, and ALWAYS healthy.” The guys really like to focus on healthy, organic and even locally grown foods. They are all about loving the earth and loving you. When I asked for a one line quote about their meals the guys said, “EVERYTHING organic,” without missing a beat.

When I asked what the guys thought is the most important thing to share about their cooking with our readers they said, “We really want the ladies to know how healthy (and attractive) the house of 20 Gerald is, and that we believe very strongly that all women should make sure their man can cook for them when they don’t feel like it!” Such sensitive and caring hearts!

I have to say that I definitely agree with the guys. This shows that cooking can be fun and inventive. The men at 20 Gerald prove that being in the kitchen is the perfect way to a girl’s heart. I have to say that they have totally and completely captured mine!

Here is one of their full meals that they whipped up one lazy Saturday, enjoy! Click through to see their amazing recipes 

[pagebreak] 

Tequila Lime Chicken: (20 min prep)

Ingredients

• Pulled rotisserie chicken
  • Diced jalapenos,
  • Red and green bell peppers
  • Lemon-lime juices
  • A couple dashes of tequila
  • Olive oil
  • Avocado oil
  • Himalayan salt
  • Dead sea salt
  • Pepper
  • Rosemary
  • Basil
  • Cilantro

Instruction: Cook in oven for 22 min at 350 degrees

Whole Wheat French Baguette Garlic Bread:

Ingredients 

• Whole Wheat French Baguette 
  • Coconut oil
  • Garlic
  • Basil

[pagebreak] 

Bruschetta:

Ingredients 

• Bread or baguette of your choice
  • Diced Tomatoes
  • Crushed garlic
  • Finely chopped onion
  • Coconut oil
  • Basil
  • Olive oil
  • Dead sea salt
  • Pepper 

Salad:

Ingredients 

• Spinach salad
  • Brianna’s home style strawberry vinaigrette

Shake:

Ingredients

• Strawberry yogurt
  • Freshly cut mango
  • Banana
  • Almond milk
  • Orange juice  

[pagebreak] 

Nachos: (10 min prep)

Ingredients 

1. Round tortilla chips
  2. Beef
  3. Salt
  4. Pepper
  5. Lime juice
  6. Rosemary
  7. Diced jalapenos
  8. Pico de gallo
  9. Mixed Mexican cheeses

Instructions: Cook in oven 12 min at 350 degrees

So as you can see from the above recipes, it was a dinner to die for! Of course there is plenty more where that came from! Too many more fantastic dinners until next time ladies, let’s have a special cheers to men who can cook!

Lots of love,

Nina and The Men at 20 Gerald 

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum