How to Start Your School Year Off on the Right Foot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s that time again.  We have packed our family cars to the brim, have said goodbye to high school friends, and have left our home behind to head back to college.  Everyone knows this can be a stressful time: between preparing for new classes, adjusting to a new dorm and roommates, and beginning a whole new year of college, back to school can be one tough transition.  But have no fear, this upcoming school year, because we have a game plan.

Getting into “work mode.”

Transitioning from “summer mode” to “productive work” can seem pretty daunting.  The trick is to start off on the right foot from the very beginning: get plenty of sleep, eat right, and get to class early and prepared.  Stocking up on school supplies and ordering your textbooks ahead of time are great ways to get the ball rolling, as you won’t have to frantically search for textbooks, notebooks, and pens after classes have already begun.

Dorms & Desks Don’t Have to be Daunting.

Additionally, we must transition ourselves back to dorm life.  This, for most of us, means utilizing a smaller space than we are normally accustomed to at home.  Remember to use your space well, especially when it comes to your cramped desk space.  Drawers, shelves, and supplies organizers can really help here!  Speaking of desks, reading during the academic year is a lot different than your summer reading as you lounge on the beach.  Speed-reading is a helpful tool: to do this, stop saying the words in your head as you read and instead focus on the words in the middle of sentences.  This can increase your reading rate drastically… Try it out!

Stay Composed & In Control.

Lastly, to have a great academic year, you definitely need to be organized each and every day.  This starts with creating any form of a to-do list that actually works for you.  If you follow one method and stick to it, you should be successful and will receive a sense of satisfaction from “checking” off an item.  Additionally, remove distractions.  Audit your time and see where you’re wasting it, and then tackle the distraction right at the source.  Roommates constantly talking to you?  Work in the library or put on headphones.  Facebook distracting you?  Download an app, like SelfControl, that blocks websites for a set amount of time during study sessions.  Little alterations to your study schedule will free up more time and help you greatly with your time management.

So, collegiates, with these hints, you can tackle any curveball the beginning of the school year throws at you. Starting classes again will not feel like a strike out if you take advantage of some of this advice. What are you waiting for?  Pack up your car, get out there, start your year off to a great start, and make it the best one yet!

Photo Sources:

http://lifeatucr.tumblr.com/po…

www.porterhousedesigns.com

www.bc.edu

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum